This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Do People Eat If You Are Nightshade Intolerant As Well As Gluten Intolerant?

lynne1978

lynne1978 Rookie

I am having a real hard time making meals up, that are gluten free, minus the potatoes etc, also I'm wondering if soya and eggs are affecting me. are there any good suggestions for appetising meals that are basic in content, and gluten free? I'm getting so fed up getting ill from foods, or bored with them!!! Any suggestions for tasty safe recipies would be VERY much appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VioletBlue Contributor

I miss the peppers more than I do the potatoes in the end because it means I can't have anything with heat in it. Most hot sauces or foods have some form of peppers in them. Same with tomatoes and tomato sauce. Lunch today is rice pasta with left over roast beef cubed and thin sliced green squash with some garlic and butter for flavor.

If you can handle sunflowers, there's something called sunchokes, which are sunflower roots. When boiled or broiled they have a similar consistincy to potatos, though not the same taste. Some people can also tolerate yams as they're not a nightshade. I also love winter squashs for their consistancy. Most edible roots can be boiled and mashed, it's just a question of whether you like the taste or not.

I am having a real hard time making meals up, that are gluten free, minus the potatoes etc, also I'm wondering if soya and eggs are affecting me. are there any good suggestions for appetising meals that are basic in content, and gluten free? I'm getting so fed up getting ill from foods, or bored with them!!! Any suggestions for tasty safe recipies would be VERY much appreciated!!
Ursa Major Collaborator

One meal I love making (when I have the energy) is a sort of stew I make in the slow cooker. My first layer is onion, next cut up rutabaga, the next layer carrots. After that maybe leek, celery, cabbage, or whatever you have around. Don't put cauliflower, it turns to mush. The top layer is usually chicken thighs, covered with more onions and maybe cut-up garlic. Put salt in between layers, and also parsley if desired. Add about two cups of water (more if you want extra broth) and cook. It will be done after six hours if you put it on the high setting, but use the low heat setting if you want it done after eight to ten hours (depending on when you put it on, and when you want to eat).

One thing I have tried is to cook cauliflower until overdone, then mash it and add butter (or other fat) and milk (or rice milk) and salt to taste. It is a mashed potatoes substitute, and is pretty good. You can eat it with gravy, just like mashed potatoes. My husband actually really likes it.

You can use white sauce instead of tomato sauce for pasta. It is especially good if you use cut-up chicken instead of ground beef in that sauce.

I eat a lot of stir fries. With lots of onion (or shallots, which I tolerate better), meat (whatever I feel like having that day) and vegetables. Anything works, but I find that if I put rutabaga in it is a little more satisfying.

Mashed turnips (with added carrots if desired) make a great potato substitute as far as I am concerned.

There are many more foods besides gluten, soy, dairy and nightshades I can't eat, and there are still quite a few safe foods for me to eat. It is a hassle, and not always easy. But it can be done. Even my husband and guests like my cooking, even with the restrictions.

lynne1978 Rookie

[quote name='Ursa Major' date='May I find that if I put rutabaga in it is a little more satisfying.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Tonight is Quinoa Taboule and roasted chicken and salad.

I miss the "hot" peppers as well. :( But Ginger has heat and so does Tumeric and Cinnamon and a few others. You do learn to be creative.

BTW Black Pepper is NOT a nightshade. :)

I need to add more to my signature. I have now cut out Eggs and All Legumes. Not eating Yeast either, but then again, I havnt since going gluten-free. All to help try to heal my nerves.

Life....what a ride!

aikiducky Apprentice

I'm gluten, dairy, egg, nightshade and legume free. Typical daily menu could be something like:

Breakfast: Cornflakes with apple sauce and coconut milk, a banana, tea

Lunch: Salad with endive, ice berg, carrots, olives, avocado, tuna/chicken/other fish, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and TEA

Dinner: Stir fry with three different veg plus a meat (for example sweet potato, leek and celery with pork, or summer squash, carrots and leek with chicken, the variations are endless). Sometimes, not often, I also cook some rice to have with my meal. And more tea. :)

Sweet potatoes are actually not related to potatoes at all and a really good substitute.

Lately I've also been a bit addicted to a bread I found (the brand is Dr.Sch

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I am a big sweet potato fan - you can fry them like french fries, cut into cottage fries & sprinkle on oil & fresh chopped herbs & bake in the oven. also great baked serve with a touch of brown sugar - no butter necessary. Bake extra sweet potatoes refrigerate leftover ones - next day or two - peel the potato, slice into rounds, put in skillet that is coated in coconut oil or butter, lightly brown on both sides, sprinkle lightly with sugar. My grandmother used to make this & I always loved it.

Prepackaged polenta coooked same as above or pan fried

stews, pork roast with garlic, onions & carrots - you will never miss the potatoes

homemade soups - these freeze great

paella - a rice dish with sausage, chicken & shrimp - or what you have, some diced carrots & onions - just leave out the tomatoes...

a redo of homemade tacos - I use chopped chicken (no beef for me) grated carrots, chopped parsley, minced red onions, chopped kale & chopped red cabbage, a bit of salad dressing - homemade or your favorite. You can add any chopped veggie you like, sometimes I add chopped broccoli.

You can also make fish tacos, using a soft white corn tortilla, add fried fish (coat fish in mustard then coat in corn meal & fry) chopped cabbage & I like cilantro & then top with salad dressing - I like to take mayo type dressing & thin with olive oil & vinegar & flavor with dill or minced fresh herbs.

it is really nice to have a couple of pots of herbs or a herb bed...

if you like pasta, a really good simple Italian sauce is onions & garlic sauteed in oil or butter till slightly golden, throw in cooked pasta & stir to coat - done - easy & delicious - if you can do dairy - top with the best grated hard cheese you can get.

pork chops stuffed with a dried fruit & nut stuffing - serve with honey glazed carrots or your favorite veggie.

homemade chicken salad - nothing better IMO !!!! I keep shredded chicken in one cup portions in the freezer - ready at all times!!!

if you cook rice use your homemade chicken or vegetable stock for the liquid

I also like to make stir frys a lot.

I am never bored with what to eat, my dilemma is usally choosing what I want to eat. I always keep canned salmon & crab on hand, & in the freezer cooked chicken, shrimp, pork chops, bacon, Canadian bacon, & a pork roast. A lot of times I just pick up fresh veggies & thaw something - the combinations are endless...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
What is rutabaga? I've not heard of it

Other names for rutabaga are Swede, or yellow turnip.

Archived