Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am wanting to buy some olive oil but not sure what brand to get.

I was at the store last night saw Classico and Bertolli (which were the only two names I recognized) along with a couple other brands.

What is a nice brand to get? My husband doesn't really have any interest in using it so it would be just for me and with how much it is I just want to get one that would be useful and taste good.

I have read how people put it on noodles with shredded cheese or home made fries in the oven so thought it would be a nice addition to cooking.

Any input is appreciated :)

Thank you!

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I usually buy Bertolli extra virgin. But that's largely a price issue for me. It seems to be the cheapest of the decent olive oils. I don't trust the store brand to really be extra virgin. There's a lot of lee way in how olive oil is labeled versus what it actually is. It will indeed be olive oil because they cannot misrepresent that, but as to whether something is extra virgin or even a 100% italian olive oil as some claim is open for debate.

I prefer extra virgin, but that's a taste choice I make. You can always experiment with small bottles of different grades and brands and see what you like best.

I am wanting to buy some olive oil but not sure what brand to get.

I was at the store last night saw Classico and Bertolli (which were the only two names I recognized) along with a couple other brands.

What is a nice brand to get? My husband doesn't really have any interest in using it so it would be just for me and with how much it is I just want to get one that would be useful and taste good.

I have read how people put it on noodles with shredded cheese or home made fries in the oven so thought it would be a nice addition to cooking.

Any input is appreciated :)

Thank you!

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

I like Star Olive Oil. I get the extra virgin as well. I also use it for making popcorn, gives it a lovely nutty flavor.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

For cooking, non-extra-virgin is ok, but on pasta, in salad dressings, making pesto etc extra-virgin is essential.

Extra Virgin is aka "cold pressed", as there's no heat in process - unlike any other method.

I was in Phx last year & usually bought whatever extra-virgin was on sale @ Sprouts or Sunflower or sometimes Trader Joe's.

~$6/liter & ~$7 if not on sale.

I'm not sure I can tell the difference w/ more expensive ones.

"100% Italian" - I've heard of some monkey-business where they import olives & it's just processed in Italy.

I figure "hey .. .what have I got against Spanish olives anyway?"

Regarding national brands - I copied a tast test from Cook's Illustrated aka America's Test Kitchen

Olive Oils CI-MarApr01 -

DaVinci #1

Best of the rest:

"Full-bodied & bold" colavita, FilippoBerio, carapelli.

"Mild & delicate" pompeian, 365, star, goya bertolli.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

I like Phillipo Berrio, Carapelli and Bertolli--in that order :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Thank you for all of your replies they were very helpful.

I think I will try the Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil -- I had it in my hand then put it back when we went to the store couple days ago b/c I was not sure what I was doing at the time =)

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09