This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Treatment For Celiac In The Works

Vanquish

Vanquish Rookie

A drug called AT-1001 is being used in clinical trials as a means to prevent gluten being absorbed into the mucosal lining of the intestine with some success. Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
A drug called AT-1001 is being used in clinical trials as a means to prevent gluten being absorbed into the mucosal lining of the intestine with some success. Open Original Shared Link

That's good to hear. We need more such experiments.

I like to use acidophilus, bromelain/papain, and pancreatin in double dose if CC'd. Glutenzyme also seems to help. This combo seemed to greatly reduce CC symptoms for me. I was told by my anthropologist mother that a diet rich in yogurt-like food was de rigeur in Scandinavia where celiac/sprue is very common. I also read a study they are doing in Stanford that indicates pro-biotics do help.

Its also interesting how they keep upping the suspected incidence rate of celiac. Now its one in one hundred Americans? And yet it always seems like the general population regards us as freaks. I am pretty sure this will have to change pretty soon, like with the hundreth monkey.

debmidge Rising Star

The treatment is called Zonulin - in Clinical Trials right now

see albatheraputics.com for the info.

AliB Enthusiast

I am so suspicious of drugs and the damage they do - not to mention all the meddling with our food and, well, just about everything that I reckon I might just take my chances and stick to gluten-free. I reckon its the safer option.

It was being given a new drug that triggered off the darn Celiac in the first place! I mean, I'm glad that happened or I would probably still be oblivious, but the side-effects were horrendous and made me so sick I shan't be sorry to never see another drug in my life..............from now on, the less chemicals I put in my mouth (or any other part of my anatomy) the better - my poor beleaguered liver has enough to cope with as it is!!!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I am also not interested in any drugs or a "cure". I prefer a healthier way of eating.

Of course I guess some of the powers to be are realizing that they might need it for the masses, when their anti-acids no longer work...

YoloGx Rookie

I doubt their drugs would really be a "cure"--just a way to counteract the occasional CC when it happens like when one eats out. That I think could be helpful in a pinch rather than getting sick for a week etc.

Though like I said previously there are natural enzyme treatments that do seem to work.

Bea

WhimsiKay Apprentice

Currently suffering a mysterious posioning as I am -- I have no idea WHERE I got CC'd! -- I think I'm entirely justified in saying give me whatever it takes to stop feeling like this! :D

Seriously, though, I'm always willing to try things in moderation. Anything that can ease the discomfort and flat out unhappiness of a CC is going to get a try in my book. ^^;

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived