Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

msmini14

Is Gum gluten-free?

Ok all, I need to know if gum is gluten free? I have noticed that I have been having some issues and am wondering if it is food, paper plate or the gum? I stopped chewing gum once I found out I was Celiac and this helps to supress the hunger. So I am wondering if it is gluten-free? Any help would be much appreciated =)

Thanks!

Jen

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There are some questions which can not be answered yes or no, and this is one of them.

You cannot categorically state that gum is or isn't gluten-free, you must look into specific products, as some are safe and others aren't. I can't help you definitively since I don't chew gum myself, but I do recall that there are a number of gluten-free ones out there.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Ok all, I need to know if gum is gluten free? I have noticed that I have been having some issues and am wondering if it is food, paper plate or the gum? I stopped chewing gum once I found out I was Celiac and this helps to supress the hunger. So I am wondering if it is gluten-free? Any help would be much appreciated =)

Thanks!

Jen

If you are chewing sugar-free gum, most of them are sweetened with sorbitol which can cause bloating and other stomach issues in some people. :huh:

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

The only information I have is that fruit-flavored Stride is not safe. I found it on this forum, but don't know how reliable that info is.

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

The issue is with the "gum base." You can read the ingredients, but they will all simply list"gum base" without telling you exactly what is in it. This is legal for them to do (outrageous, I know!) Every company uses a different gum base. In addition, the suppliers for their gum bases may change from batch to batch. You are really best off not chewing gum (sorry!) because of this. My brother works for Farley Sathers and this is just the reality of the business.

I found information about safe gums on the ROCK (relatives of Celiac Kids) candy lists. I know that you cannot just buy a gumball from a machine-- I got sick off of one of those. Wrigleys and the glee gumfrom the gluten-free mall here have been safe in my experience so far.

Good luck!