Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leadmeastray88

Menstrual-like Cramps

Hi everyone,

I was just curious to see if anyone else has had this symptom.

Throughout the month (not during 'that time') I have cramps in my lower abdomen that are in the same region as menstrual cramps but don't feel like them, much more subdued and they don't throb like menstrual cramps do.

Wondering if this could be added to my list of symptoms?

~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008

9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)

Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines

July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"

Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"

Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301

Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history

National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is definitely one of my symptoms. That's one of the ways that I know I ate some gluten. Bad cramps. It goes away when I am gluten free.

Diagnosed celiac disease July 5, 2007

Starting over on the gluten free diet

Ditto. My periods are irregular, so it makes it hard for me to tell the difference.

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Great, thanks guys!

This is my major symptom so I'm glad that other have had the same one.

Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines

Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Yes, and I can raise you one. Yesterday I was at a family function and cheated a little bit on my gluten-free diet (homemade Jamaican Patties and a McDonald's soft ice cream cone while waiting for the train). A couple of days before I also had some cheese. This is about to get very explicit in terms of female symptoms, so people should stop reading if they don't want to know:

I get the menstrual-like cramps (slightly different than the other painful abdominal cramps, which I also get), and I get a fatty, gooey, vaginal discharge that is similar to the fatty slime that is excreted with bowel movements while on wheat and dairy regularly. I also feel the menstrual-type cramps when I need to urinate, until the offending matter passes out of my system. I get some weird vaginal pain as well. So yes, I just went through it. I noticed a similar pattern of symptoms with accidental glutenings, and from my past illness before gluten-free.

-First overt but unrecognized symptoms after reintroducing dairy and wheat to my diet after a 2-month absence, 2002.

-First appearance of chronic aphthous stomatiti, 2002.

-Giardia infection and treatment with albenzole, 2005.

-Persistent symptoms and treated for Giardia again with Flagyl twice (without testing), 2006.

-Dx milk allergy from a blood test, April 2007.

-Also presented for anemia, high white blood cell count, and candida in the same test. Dx IBS, April 2007.

-Response to diet and self-diagnosis through overwhelming symptoms and possible genetic link (hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia runs in the family), April 2008

-Currently learning to go gluten-free (April 2008), and coping with new sensitivities.

I've had a hysterectomy, and I get these--they do feel like menstrual cramps! In my case, I'm pretty sure it's trapped gas--that can be extremely painful.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Yes, and I can raise you one. Yesterday I was at a family function and cheated a little bit on my gluten-free diet (homemade Jamaican Patties and a McDonald's soft ice cream cone while waiting for the train). A couple of days before I also had some cheese. This is about to get very explicit in terms of female symptoms, so people should stop reading if they don't want to know:

I get the menstrual-like cramps (slightly different than the other painful abdominal cramps, which I also get), and I get a fatty, gooey, vaginal discharge that is similar to the fatty slime that is excreted with bowel movements while on wheat and dairy regularly. I also feel the menstrual-type cramps when I need to urinate, until the offending matter passes out of my system. I get some weird vaginal pain as well. So yes, I just went through it. I noticed a similar pattern of symptoms with accidental glutenings, and from my past illness before gluten-free.

Wow, I get that too!! I never thought of that...

How about vaginal itching?

Thank you SO much!

Before my daughter (19) was diagnosed allergic to gluten her symptoms were: 2-3 years of off and on blood in the stools (worse the last few months), Extreme pms symptoms, huge blood clots, unable to sleep for the pain, itchy head and arms, fatigue, she said her ovary hurt not during her periods but in the middle of them, sneezing, can't smell or taste, can't remember things, can't concentrate, grouchy/moody, she had all the symptoms for endometriosis, etc. The doc said to get her off gluten, we are waiting for her next period to check her symptoms. The between period pain seems to be gone and so is the blood in the stools. He gave her an herb to clear it up incase it was a parasite. He gave her vitamin B's with magnesium. And she has been taking a glutathione injection every week for about 2 months to help her liver with filtering out toxins. She sneezes less, no more itching and can smell better. I see great improvements. Her doc is an osteopath. I am so thankful for him. No surgery and he new right away what her problem was.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28