Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J Lee

Grandchild With Disruptive Behavior - Undiagnosed Celiac

My grandchild has been difficult to deal with - lies, moody, sweet, sincere, sneaking out at night, and now has run away from home. Celiac is in the family by numerous members and I am trying to get my daughter to take seriously the idea that her daughter could be affected by celiac disease causing these behavior problems. My best bet would be to have someone else who has experienced these problems in a family member, preferably a teenager or late adolescent. My undiagnosed sister had mental issues when alive and my main reaction to gluten ingestion is personality change and depression.

Trying to keep a teen on a gluten free diet is tough. However, now that she has progressed to running away perhaps her parents will be willing to try getting her gluten-free as she will no doubt be grounded when she returns.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has. Thanks

J Lee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My kids aren't teenagers yet. but my 7 yr old dd can be just awful.

I had terrible issues as a young teenager and older teenager. I hope things work out for her. If I had been properly diagnosed earlier I would have gone through so much less pain and suffering mentally as a teenager(and other times too). My mental symptoms were some of the worst to deal with.

Maybe your sister could come on her and read up on people's testimonies.

good luck, I hope she comes home soon

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

My 9 year old daughter's reaction to gluten (and to food dyes, aspartame, and MSG) are mostly behavioral, and it turns her into a completely different person, full of rage, hatred, lack of control, no ability to listen or reason, and talking of suicide, and attempted run aways (walked outside and came back in , lol). I was about to get a shrink when I figured out all of her food sensitivities, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have my daughter back.

I'm sure it would also help your grandchild to know she is not "crazy", it's just that her brain is being poisoned by food and chemicals. Usually when my daughter is in the middle of an episode, i'll figure out what it is she ate that is affecting her, and even though she's still moody, it really helps her to calm down, just knowing that SHE is not "bad", but that she is the victim of a food attack. I can always tell the difference between regular misbehavior and the food kind, so she dosen't always get out of her responsibility to control herself! There are forums, I think on here even, for teenagers with celiac so that would probably help as well--becasue she herself needs to buy in and realize what the problem is and see the connections between what she eats and her mood/behavior.

hope this helps, and good luck,

Liz

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.