Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slmprofesseur

Find A New Doc/allergist?

Hello! I am a 30 yr old African-American female. I have had for years symptoms of gluten intolerance. I didn't know how much I suffered until the birth of my 2nd ds (33 wks preemie). He is allergic to wheat/eggs/nuts and milk. Since we were nursing, I decided to go wheat free also. I should explain that he has pneumonia, really bad rashes, and horrible colic/stools prior to his diagnosis.

During the pregnancy I had horrible heartburn and a varying array of gastrointestinal problems. I must say the worst experience was the "gallstone" issue. I ate raisin bran for breakfast and was lying on the floor in agony for about 3 hrs. I continued to have these problems...until my journey into wheat/gluten free.

I recently went to my family doc for a checkup and mentioned how my asthma, gastrointestinal problems, and eczema has improved. Not to mention my adult acne... Well this doc asks me if it is a mental change!!?!!

I didn't even approach the celiac disease issue. I am not sure what to do now. My family has a long history of thyroid problems, heart disease etc. I have weaned ds but each time I eat gluten I get migraines, heartburn, and asthma attacks, and constipation. Should I look for a new doc?

Is this an uphill battle?

Please help! I would like to know for the sake of my son. He has been in the 10th percentile for growth until his allergy dx and now is in the 60th.

Knitting is a gluten free hobby!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like you and your son both have celiac disease. Since you have been gluten-free for a while now, a new doctor might decide you should go back to eating gluten for testing. Because at this point any celiac disease tests would likely come back negative. You have to actively eat gluten for quite a long time again for tests to come up positive.

Really, you know you are gluten intolerant, probably celiac disease. Your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about. All the symptoms you describe are commonly caused by a gluten intolerance/celiac disease.

No doctor can allow/disallow you to eat whatever you want. If you have decided you feel much healthier without eating gluten, nobody can make you eat it.

You can still find out at least if you are gluten intolerant by doing the tests by Enterolab. Their tests are still accurate up to a year after eliminating gluten from your diet. They can't officially diagnose celiac disease, because they don't do biopsies, though.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, just get a new doc - if you need one - but I agree with Ursa just test thru Enterolab & do not make yourself & your son sicker with trying to eat enough gluten to damage yourself so some doctor can tell you that the blood test is negative & no need to restrict your diet... nutty doctors.

& sorry the dr was so rude to pull that junk about a mental change.... it is disgusting. My dil told me that if I would just think happy thoughts that I would not be sick - I would recommend that you read the book "Dangerous Grains"

a more involved book & a longer read is "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes

really the healthiest diet is a diet of meat, seafood, nuts, eggs, veggies, fruits - we really have no need for grains.

Yep, just get a new doc - if you need one - but I agree with Ursa just test thru Enterolab & do not make yourself & your son sicker with trying to eat enough gluten to damage yourself so some doctor can tell you that the blood test is negative & no need to restrict your diet... nutty doctors.

& sorry the dr was so rude to pull that junk about a mental change.... it is disgusting. My dil told me that if I would just think happy thoughts that I would not be sick - I would recommend that you read the book "Dangerous Grains"

a more involved book & a longer read is "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes

really the healthiest diet is a diet of meat, seafood, nuts, eggs, veggies, fruits - we really have no need for grains.

Thanks for all the info. I can't see going back on gluten. We just do a nice diet of veggies/fruits/and meat. DS and myself are allergic to seafood.I haven't felt this great in years. No more inhalers, stomach woes. It's ironic that all of my online research says that celiac disease is not common in African Americans. I could easily name 10 family members that have it but would never go gluten free. They all have problem such as hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, diabetes (type II), lupus, gout...the list goes on and on.

Knitting is a gluten free hobby!