Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiacgirl4GOD

Lotions And Body Products

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I got this new lotion as a gift and It has oats in it. If I use it, will it do damage to my intestines? Any advise I can get would be great. :(

Oats in general should not bother Celiacs. But, due to the processing of oats, they often come into contact with contamination with wheat, barley or rye, by farm equipment, processing and shipping.

The risk of being glutens by oats in lotion would be slim (in my opinion). I do not buy lotions with oats, just because I want to avoid any additional complications. But it would be wise not to get it in or around you mouth.

Others may have different experiences.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Now me, I am one of those celiac's who can not have oats either. If I use a lotion or soap with oats in it, I break out in hives. Try a little, and see what happens. If you have no reaction, then it's wonderful. If it worries you, then see if you can exchange it for an oat free lotion.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I"ve tried lotion with oats in it before and I was fine but I'm just afraid it will be doing bad stuff to my intestines or something.

Oats will not hurt your intestines. Oats tainted with cross contamination from wheat may.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I stay away from oats, and would not use a body product that contained it. I tend to be super-sensitive, so for me, it's not worth the risk.

Here's a little infomation on how oats may affect Celiacs

http://www.csaceliacs.org/InfoonOats.php

Some Celiacs can tolerate pure oats just fine--there is a percentage of us that will react to the protein in oats as we would to wheat, rye and barley. I doubt whether the oats used in topical products is pure, though--they are much more expensive to produce. ;)

Like with most everything, reactions will vary from person to person....if you try it, I'd suggest being very careful of getting any lotion near your mouth.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev