This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baby Teething Rusks

aussiedeano

aussiedeano Newbie

Hi folks! New to the forum, so bear with me while I try to get my head around things! Our 13 month old son is being tested for celiacs/gluten intolerance here in Australia. So we are not sure if he has it yet, but cutting out gluten/bread, etc has meant 10+ hour sleeps at night, with no waking with sore tummy and well formed poops.

My question is, can anyone point me in the direction of recipes for gluten free rusks, the little hard teething biscuits? Am looking for suitable recipe books for baby/toddlers as well, so any suggestions would be great!

Good luck to everyone. I am just learning how hard this all is, so I appreciate what you are all going through!

Cheers!

Dean

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are definitely on the right track if you see improvement already!

I never used teething biscuits on my babies, and that was way before I ever heard of gluten! It's simply not healthy for them to be eating something when they are not hungry. Note--if the baby is breastfeeding and wants to suck for comfort, that's a different matter.

They don't need teething biscuits. Period.

I always froze a VERY CLEAN (no fabric softener or bleach!), damp washcloth in a plastic bag, and when the baby was fussy and didn't want to nurse, I took the washcloth out of the bag, splashed it with a little water to soften it a little, and gave it to the baby to hold and suck/gum/chew.

Also, 13 months is an age where they can be bored, which leads them to notice painful gums more easily. So lots of distraction/interaction can head off problems altogether.

There's a great website for packed lunches for older toddlers, though it's not gluten-free. But it's pretty easy to adapt most of the ideas. It's www.lunchinabox.net.

mamatide Enthusiast
Hi folks! New to the forum, so bear with me while I try to get my head around things! Our 13 month old son is being tested for celiacs/gluten intolerance here in Australia. So we are not sure if he has it yet, but cutting out gluten/bread, etc has meant 10+ hour sleeps at night, with no waking with sore tummy and well formed poops.

My question is, can anyone point me in the direction of recipes for gluten free rusks, the little hard teething biscuits? Am looking for suitable recipe books for baby/toddlers as well, so any suggestions would be great!

Good luck to everyone. I am just learning how hard this all is, so I appreciate what you are all going through!

Cheers!

Dean

Hi Dean! Welcome to the Board and congratulations to you for finding a way to ease your child's belly pain. My daughter had belly pain for years before we finally figured out her gluten intolerance and her life has been completely different since her diagnosis.

I don't have any suggestions for rusk recipes. We never used them. But if you're looking for some hard cookies that are gluten free, I can suggest that you look up biscotti recipes. There are piles online. Of course, never put nuts into your biscotti if a child is eating them.

As the previous poster mentioned, teething biscuits can be very dangerous to young children as they are a choking hazard. There are devices on the market which are like a small sack into which you can place teething biscuits to make them safer for small children to chew on without risking choking. You might look them up.

Good luck with Gluten Free living!

mamatide

HiDee Rookie

"Baby Mum-Mums" rice rusks are great. I'm pretty sure they are made in Australia and should be available in grocery stores there. They are not hard teething biscuits but they are gluten-free and great for babies and toddlers. My little girl loves them. They are crunchy and fun to chew on but dissolve very easily in the mouth. They are just rice which is perfect for even little babies just starting on rice cereal. Because they dissolve so well they can be gummed very easily.

Here are a few websites where I've found different baby recipes that might help you. Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

aussiedeano Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys, and the recipes! I hear you about the choking thing, but Jake usually sucks the rusks to death, then chews them. I guess their not so much for teething, but we use them for distraction more than anything, especially when he is whining in the stores. He'll suck on it for ages.

The baby mum-mum ones we found have sugar in them. Not sure if we want to give those to him. We found rice crackers are a good gluten free alternative, as well as home made cheese toasties, made with gluten free bread.

So all good suggestions, thanks a bunch!

Archived