Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a colonoscopy a good way to determine if you are gluten intolerant / allergic? I am only wondering as my blood work came back negative, but I was still having tonnes of symptoms and so went for my colonoscopy. They didn't specifically say that I did not have a gluten issue ( they did say that I did nto have Chrones for sure ), but, would they have even been able to tell if I did? All they checked of course was the large intestine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A colonoscopy is where you would check for issues such as Crohn's, in the large instestines. Any time that you have digestive issues, it would be wise to have this proceedure.

An endoscopy is an examination of the small intestines. A biopsy can be taken in the small intestines to check for Celiac Disease.

Celiac is different from a gluten intolerance or an allergy.

What type of blood test did you have? Do you have the results?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I have no clue what type of blood test I had, all I rememeber my doctor saying was that he did a blood test for celiac, and it came back normal?!?!

You know how doctors are. Everything has been left at " we are not sure what is wrong with you if anything, just give it time, things will get better "......

RIGHT. I am now seeing a naturopath who at least has me functioning again, although not 100% better. I have cut out gluten and soy as well ( I have always been lactose intolerant ), and even went as for as to receive some " colon hydrotherapy ".....I am willing to do anything to get better. But this is breaking the bank and my spirit and so I was just wondering if they could even tell for celiac or the likes with a colonoscopy. So, if you are just gluten intolerant then, woudl anything show up in the endoscopy?? How painful is that procedure? Lol, wonder how I go about seeing if I can get that done?

Thanks for your help :-P