Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've only been on the gluten-free diet for two weeks, and I've been feeling somewhat improved - gassiness, stomach pain, cramps, etc. are all gone, but I'm still experiencing fatigue (which could partially due to my low weight), abnormal stool, and some weird feelings in my stomach. Anyway, onto my question. I've been writing down what I've been eating and how I've been feeling, and after having a crappy day again today (going to the bathroom about 6 times, loose stool, fatigue, etc.) I noticed that the days I've felt worse are the days that I've consumed Rice Chex, which are supposedly gluten-free. I had a span last week where I didn't eat any, and I was feeling really good - energized, more normal stool, etc. So are Rice Chex the culprit, or am I reading too much into this? It just worries me b/c General Mills makes so many other products that aren't gluten-free, so isn't the possibility of cross contamination very high? I'm still so new to all of this, so I'm not really sure if this has any merit, but I was just wondering if anybody else had any other similar experiences, or if I'm the only one. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I posted a similar situation and everyone replied that they didn't have any trouble. When I eat Rice Chex I have issues, especially bloating and gas. In addition, it made me have anxiety (one of my major symptoms). My husband thinks I am allergic to something in them.

Holly Joy

Neg blood test 2006

Life changed on diet - decided against biopsy

allergic to nuts and the environment (including all mold)

asthma, eczema, hypothyroid, celiac

Do you actually have the new Rice Chex? I haven't seen the newly formulated gluten-free ones on shelves yet. The ones that are Gluten Free actually say so on the box and don't have barley malt listed. Just checking.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I would follow the advice of the reader who said look for the box that actually says Gluten Free. I have been tricked a few times by products like cereal that don't list any ingredients that are glutenized, but still make me have a reaction.

"The decisions we make dictate the life we live. To thine on self be true."

Yes, I have made sure that the box specifically states Gluten Free on it and doesn't list barley malt as an ingredient. It still seems to me that the liklihood of contamination is seriously high - I can't find information anywhere as to what they've done to ensure that the rice chex remain gluten free. All they say is that they have "taken the requisite steps to prevent cross contamination during production and tested the new formula based on proposed FDA standards."

Hrm. that sucks. I can't eat anything made on shared lines without getting sick, so if thats the issue, then I'll know as soon as I try my first bowl, once it gets to the west coast. You also state that you've been gluten-free only a couple weeks. It can take a long time to get back to normal. Also, if I get accidentally glutened, everything bugs me for a few days, and I have to eat really simply, cause even things that are totally gluten-free (like apples) will send my stomach into fits. Also, is this the only time you are having milk? Could it be casien or lactose and not gluten? I was very sensitive to lactose when I was first diganosed, and had to cut it out for the first few months which is often recommended. Just some thoughts. I will be really sad if its a shared line issue. I am really looking forward to Rice Chex.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I have been enjoying this cereal without a problem and I am very sensitive.

I have found the gluten-free labeled ones in Target. It is nice to finially find a gluten-free

cereal for $2.00 a box.

Celiac Disease 08/05

Osteoporosis 08/05 (age 38 )

Fibromyalgia, Microscopic Colitis, Elevated ANA (1:1280) 09/07

Mom of three. Daughter with gene marker for Celiac. No signs of disease

Donna

Long Island, NY

elonwy - it's not the milk, since I already know that I'm lactose intolerant, so I've been putting soy milk on it.

I am thinking that maybe my system just hasn't returned to normal yet as I am still so new to the diet, and I just need to give everything time to even out. I've also been really stressed lately, so I don't know if that contributed at all to my stomach woes. I think maybe I'll give it a few weeks and then try out the Rice Chex again and see if anything is different. Thanks for all the replies!

elonwy - it's not the milk, since I already know that I'm lactose intolerant, so I've been putting soy milk on it.

Do you use the soy milk in a lot of stuff or just mainly on cereal? Many of us will have a issue with soy, it took me a really long time to figure it out and for me the reaction has differences but is so similar that at first it was hard to tell. When you try the rice chex again perhaps you might want to try it with a rice or almond milk instead.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

What brand of soy milk are you using ? I didn't know I was getting cross contaminated when I used the Soy Dream stuff until I started reading the posts on the forum here last year. Even tho it may state on the box "gluten free" they use barley enzymes during the manufacturing process, and claim that the ppm (parts per million of gluten) is low enough to fall under the gluten free category by detectable standards... wrong... a lot of people here still react to it . Rice sweetener syrup is also made with barley enzymes sometimes, so you have to read the labels carefully. Now I mostly avoid soy because it depresses thyroid function.

I have been enjoying this cereal without a problem and I am very sensitive.

I have found the gluten-free labeled ones in Target. It is nice to finially find a gluten-free

cereal for $2.00 a box.

Diddo that! I haven't had any problems with the new gluten-free Rice Chex, and I found it at Target too.

Sacramento, CA

Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1986

Gluten Free since 2005