Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KathleenBP

Celiac Disease Or Gluten Allergy?

I recently had an endoscopy done and the biopsy was postive for celiac sprues; however, the blood tests were all negative. therefore, doctor says I have a gluten allergy but reading the books and info online, regardless of bloodwork, a positive biopsy would indicate celiac disease.

Anyone have any information on this or had similar results?

thanks

kathleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I recently had an endoscopy done and the biopsy was postive for celiac sprues; however, the blood tests were all negative. therefore, doctor says I have a gluten allergy but reading the books and info online, regardless of bloodwork, a positive biopsy would indicate celiac disease.

Anyone have any information on this or had similar results?

thanks

kathleen

Crazy doctors! A positive biopsy is considered the gold standard for diagnosing celiac whereas the blood test has alot of false negatives (30%). Welcome to the forum Kathleen!

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Hi Kathleen, and welcome to this board. I agree with the previous poster, your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about. A gluten allergy would NOT cause villi damage!

You need to be 100% gluten free.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes You should either get a new doctor so that you are able to have an official diagnosis of celiac disease, now that you are going gluten free, any tests that you have done after this will be altered by your gluten free diet. Trust me after going gluten free for a period of time you do not want to have to eat gluten to get a positive test, weather it be biopsy or bloodwork.

So switch doctors and tell them you want an offical diagnosis. Remember this is something that you will deal with for the rest of your life so It is important to get a proper diagnosis.

Thanks

Krista

Gluten Free since Apr 14-08

Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)

Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.

May-08.... Appendicitis

July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease

Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

You need to find a new doctor. This guy does not fully understand what is going on. If you have a complicated problem later on he will not recognize it and you'll just kick around for awhile until you figure it out for yourself.