Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daxin

Gluten Free Label On Dog Food

Okay. My poor dog is sensitive to certain things in food. Imagine my surprise when we found a dog food labeled as gluten-free. Thought we'd give it a try. Upon reading the ingredient list I find BARLEY!!!! :angry:

We e-mailed the company, and this is the chain of conversation that followed:

Us: Just wondering how you can claim that the dry dog foods are gluten free? they contain barley products which are not gluten free and oatmeal, which is by nature gluten free until it is harvested on the same machinery as regular gluten containing grains...thus they are no longer gluten free. Reasonable product, however a false claim for people searching for foods that are healthy for their pets with these types of intolerances...if you mislead in this direction then what else would you mislead about?

Them: Thank you for your interest in BLUE. All grains have a gluten component of the whole grain. When we say gluten free, we mean that we don

Ryan

Positive blood work May 06

Positive results with diet change

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Now...we are not eating the dog food, it is more the principle of the bad labeling. Thanks...just needed to vent.

. . . and vent you should!!! :angry: It would also be a source of cross contamination in your house . . . from handling the dog food . . . and from receiving doggie kisses!! :P

Thanks for the heads up on this company!!

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

it is not just this company/ Labelling laws for pet food manufacturers ARE different than for human food. There was a thead about this a while ago. They do not label it as wheat free - just free of "added gluten"...and many leave out the word "added"..it is a more common claim on pet food bags since the whole fiasco with contaminated gluten source from China that led to many pet deaths.

So now pet food companies want to let it be known that they use whole grains rather than just gluten that could be contaminated.

Is it right? No, it leads to confusion for those of us who are used to that label on human food. A majority of the popualtion of pet owners dont even know what gluten is - only that it killed pets when it came from China.

Is it legal? - yes, because it is not meant for human consumption. As far as I know there is no company that produces pet food in a dedicated gluten free facility.

edit - add on - there ARE foods free of gluten for pets, see post below. They are produced in facilities that also make gluten containing pet food

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I have one of those Gluten-Free shopping guide books and it lists Nutro as gluten-free dog and cat food.

Not all Nutro products are gluten free. A number of their cans and pouches have wheat gluten in them. Read the ingredients, as the ingredient will be listed as "wheat gluten." Some Nutro products are gluten-free.

Most wet foods with gravy or sauce use wheat gluten as a key ingredient in the sauce. That is why the recall in 2007 affected so many different brands and formulas.

Pet food is my business. We own a store that sells pet food and supplies.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I am glad I never picked up one of those bags. What they are doing is dangerous for us super sensitive folks. I go with Innova Evo, a totally grain free dog and cat food. My pets thrive on it. There are some other for sure gluten-free foods for pets out there, I just look for the ones that are totally grain free. Dogs and cats do not need grains in their diets, the companies use them as fillers and binders for the waste product meat that is generally used.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

...the companies use them as fillers and binders for the waste product meat that is generally used.

This generalization is in false. In most cases, the meat sources used are from the same pool as our own food.

Some people are confused when they see the term "meal" on a pet food label. Meal is meat which has had the water and fat processed out. Since meat is over 75% moisture to start with, the result is a much more concentrated form of the meat. Nothing is added, and only moisture and fat are removed.

As a previous poster has mentioned, the rules on labeling for pet foods are different than for human food, and in most cases force the label to says less than it wants to. For example, on a human food you can list "whole grain basmati rice," but if that same ingredient is in a pet food you can only say "brown rice."

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Y'know I didn't post about it, but I had the same thing happen to me not with BLUE, but with HALO! It says right on the bag that it's gluten free, but the 3rd or 4th ingredient in, is barley.

Atleast you got a response. I emailed them several weeks ago and haven't heard a thing.

My dog is not sensitive to foods, and I just wash my hands after feeding him, so I wasn't giving it to him for any reason other than I'd heard it's an excellent food; but I wanted to alert them to the mistake for anyone that does really need to feed their dog gluten free.

Would have been nice if my email was acknowleged.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

This could be REALLY important for someone who has a celiac baby/toddler and a dog. Think about it. Kids put everything in their mouths!!

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

This could be REALLY important for someone who has a celiac baby/toddler and a dog. Think about it. Kids put everything in their mouths!!

It's actually really important for all of us. The pets lick themselves and deposit gluten residue all over their coats, we pet them and then we get 'mystery' glutening. Opening a canned gluten pet food with my family can opener got me for months. I thought I was reacting to tomatos. About the only thing I use regularly canned. Got a can opener for just my food and all was okay again. Many of us find we have problems also if we have pet birds. I finally ended up giving my parrot away because I got tired of the risk and the hassle of trying to keep his seed from invading the whole house. Also some cat litters have gluten ingredients and can put a lot of dust into the air.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Good point. Our dog food is gluten-free and so are their treats. We already went there even before I went gluten-free. Had a dog that was sensitive to it. She had neuro symptoms (siezures and strange twitching). Went away when we switched to lamb/rice based food. It should have been a clue for me as well........

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

It's actually really important for all of us. The pets lick themselves and deposit gluten residue all over their coats, we pet them and then we get 'mystery' glutening. Opening a canned gluten pet food with my family can opener got me for months. I thought I was reacting to tomatos. About the only thing I use regularly canned. Got a can opener for just my food and all was okay again. Many of us find we have problems also if we have pet birds. I finally ended up giving my parrot away because I got tired of the risk and the hassle of trying to keep his seed from invading the whole house. Also some cat litters have gluten ingredients and can put a lot of dust into the air.

Uh-oh . . . I hope Fresh Step isn't one of those!

Gluten-free since April 2007.

Also dealing with Fibromyalgia, Depression, PCOS, PMDD, and Menopause, but otherwise extremely healthy. :)

Found out I have Adult ADD in January 2009.