Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Really, Really Good Meatballs

Yet another successful meal thanks to the recipe from my favorite gluten-free cookbook "Life Tastes Good Again" (http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/). I've made them twice, once with turkey, once with beef. Served the beef balls over spaghetti, and minus the meatball sauce. Yum!

Pictures can be viewed on my blog (see profile).

Meatballs Recipe

1 lb ground beef (first time I made these, I used turkey, kinda liked that better...although it could have been the onions)

1 small onion, minced (or onion powder)

1/2 c gluten-free bread crumbs ( I used the now gluten-free Rice Chex cereal, and crushed it with the measuring cup)

1 egg

2 tbsp milk (I used both almond and soy)

2 tbsp oil (I only used one tbsp w/ the beef, a little fattier)

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium. Combine all ingredients. Form into balls and brown in oil. (I chose to flip the balls halfway. With the turkey, they got very nicely browned. With the beef, I think there was too much liquid in there, and they didn't get as toasty or crunchy). Remove with a slotted spoon, and place on paper towels. Drain oil from pan.

*This part is not pictured, but I continued the recipe with my first batch (sorry for lack of photos, they were gone too fast)*

Add 3/4 c ketchup, 1/3 c water, 2 tbsp mustard, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce to pan, and bring to a boil. Add meatballs, and simmer until hot. Serve over rice.

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):