Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimis

Anyone Get Headaches After Going Gluten Free?

I went gluten free April 1,2008 (due to celiac). Two weeks ago I got a headache...I still have this headache that asprin won't relive. I got an MRI of my brain and it showed everything normal, and now am on antibiotics and steriods (doc thinks I could have a sinus infection) and the headache remains. I am scared and depressed without a clue of whats happening. The only changes have been the diet, and I have stuck with foods I have been eating all my life. The pain is mostly on the right side...mainly affecting my temple, eye,part of my face and forhead. Please let me know your opinions!!!!!!!!!

Thanks......kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What were your symptoms before going gluten-free? Neurological?

Basic advice is to drink LOTS of water. I mean 8 - 10 glasses a day to "flush" the toxins out. Gluten/Gliadin are toxins to Celiacs. I find that Magnesium can help relax the muscles and ease the pain. I also use ice packs. And B2 200 mg a day has helped me too. But I never had one last more than 2 days.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I'm glad I came across this because I've been experienceing this same thing. I never used to get headaces (accepts migranes when I was younger after eating), but now I've been getting persistant headaces that not even perscription IB profin will take away- and they'll stick around for days. I'm finding it may be that I am more sensitive to differant foods now- corn and peanuts being two of the major ones. ANd if I have gluten I get a really bad migrane on my left side through my eye- its one of the first signs of glutening for me.... but generally, even gluten-free, the headaces are in the forhead and tenple, I'll wake up in the morning with it, and it starts throbbing when I get up and walk, then dizziness sets in and I get the little black dots before my eyes :blink:

I'm trying to stick to a bland simple diet to see if it helps... avoiding caffine/sugar and chocolate will help also.

I did... and I also had some icky emotional withdrawls I was ready to punch someone for like 5 days! :ph34r::lol:

be patient with yourself!

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

My headaches have completely gone away being gluten-free. That being said, a co-worker was having a constant headache that would not go away. Had the headache for almost a year, has MRI's, every test they could think of, etc. Turned out to be his thyroid. Might be worth checking out.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I am the reverse - my terrible headaches went away after gluten removal.......but what may be happening is withdrawal.....just a thought?

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/08/celiac-notes-op.html

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

I went gluten free April 1,2008 (due to celiac). Two weeks ago I got a headache...I still have this headache that asprin won't relive. I got an MRI of my brain and it showed everything normal, and now am on antibiotics and steriods (doc thinks I could have a sinus infection) and the headache remains. I am scared and depressed without a clue of whats happening. The only changes have been the diet, and I have stuck with foods I have been eating all my life. The pain is mostly on the right side...mainly affecting my temple, eye,part of my face and forhead. Please let me know your opinions!!!!!!!!!

Thanks......kim

What springs to mind is dairy.

After a couple of months of being gluten-free my hubby started to get crushing awful headaches........turned out he had 'temporary' lactose intolerance (very common in coeliacs)

As soon as he cut out the milk products the headaches went away.

Hope you get to the bottom of it :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

wow! There are so many possibilities I didn't even consider...that opiate withdrawl is artical is wild! I will also look into the magnesium and b2. I really appreciate all of your responses...it helps so much knowing we can all come together to figure out these weird side effects and what to do about them.

wow! There are so many possibilities I didn't even consider...that opiate withdrawl is artical is wild! I will also look into the magnesium and b2. I really appreciate all of your responses...it helps so much knowing we can all come together to figure out these weird side effects and what to do about them.

Hello

I had terrible terrible I mean reall terrible headaches when I started a detox protocol. i agree with the member who suggested WATER. it is very possible that you are just detoxifying. Just a thought....

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008