Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluesky1997

Question On Baking Bread

Hi all,

I am having my son's teachers over for breakfast tomorrow morning and I just found out that one of the teachers is on a gluten-free diet. I found a gluten-free breadmix so that I can make a separate egg casserole for her but I am concerned about making it in my bread machine. Each loaf of bread I have made in that machine has been whole wheat. Would this be a problem for her if I make her gluten-free bread in a machine that has had wheat in it? I would of course make sure it's clean but is that enough?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You are very kind to think to prepare gluten-free food for your visitor. Unfortunately, there are just too many nooks and crannies in your bread machine to prepare safe gluten-free bread in it. Flour gets on every surface on the inside and will contaminate the bread. In order to get it clean enough, you would probably ruin it. What bread mix did you buy? You will probably have much better luck mixing it up with a heavy duty mixer (kitchenaid, for example) and baking it in the oven. Also make sure you use a thoroughly clean pan to bake it in (the disposable foil ones would be ideal).

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks very much for your quick response. I sort of figured that would be the case with my bread machine. I just found out my local grocery store carries a frozen gluten-free loaf of bread so I sent my husband out to get one. I didn't think about the pan possibly being a problem either so I will be sure to use a disposable foil pan.

Thanks again!

You are very kind to think to prepare gluten-free food for your visitor. Unfortunately, there are just too many nooks and crannies in your bread machine to prepare safe gluten-free bread in it. Flour gets on every surface on the inside and will contaminate the bread. In order to get it clean enough, you would probably ruin it. What bread mix did you buy? You will probably have much better luck mixing it up with a heavy duty mixer (kitchenaid, for example) and baking it in the oven. Also make sure you use a thoroughly clean pan to bake it in (the disposable foil ones would be ideal).

Thanks very much for your quick response. I sort of figured that would be the case with my bread machine. I just found out my local grocery store carries a frozen gluten-free loaf of bread so I sent my husband out to get one. I didn't think about the pan possibly being a problem either so I will be sure to use a disposable foil pan.

Thanks again!

I realize this post is a little late, but even your mixer could be a source of contamination. The loaf of bread from the store was definitely the way to go, that's really neat that you did this for them.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill