This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bladder Problems And Celiac Related?

kayavara

kayavara Rookie

I have had bladder problems off and on now for years. I started having constant problems in Jan. '08 when all of my bloating,headaches,depression,brain fog etc .started.It felt like a very intense UTI but every time I would go to the doctor,walk in clinic or hospital...they would always say the urine came back negative. I took antibiotics for 2 months with no relief!

I went to every doctor in the book for all of the other symptoms including a urologist. After many painful days of going all day ,leg pain,back aches and more....my doctor ordered diagnostic tests and a scope. He found nothing but minor incontinence. He said I did not have any IC,cancer or any other problem except the going,going,going. He put me on Vesicare which helped a lot.I still would go more than most...but it was much better.I knew nothing of Celiac at that point.Now it has reared it's ugly head again and while it's not as bad as the last round,it's very uncomfortable.Along with the bladder spasms....I noticed bloating,gas,leg pain,irratability,slight burn in my stomach with some reflux and more.

My question is...could bladder problems be connected to Celiac/gluten intolorance? Now that I look back on my main symptoms...bladder spasms were in the picture more than not.Have I been glutened and the spasms are just a part of that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, I also get bladder problems when eating gluten, but also when I eat foods high in salicylates.

I will get the burning sensations and having to go constantly. Why don't you try going gluten-free for a week to see if your bladder problems get any better? If they do, you will have to go back to eating gluten if you want to get official celiac disease testing done, though. That would be your choice. Or you could just keep eating gluten-free and be happy with feeling better.

Anyway, you have nothing to lose by eliminating gluten for a while to see what will happen. It could definitely be your answer.

Generic Apprentice

I peed the bed until I was 6 if I got real cold (like when we went camping). My mom has accidents when she accidentally eats gluten also.

spunky Contributor

I have a slight bladder injury from childbirth... acted up my whole life. When I went gluten free, surprisingly, this got a LOT better. I don't go as much, and I'm better at holding it when I need to. Much of what I assumed was injured bladder worsening with age seems to have gotten a lot better off the gluten.

kayavara Rookie

I failed to mention that I have been glunten free now for 2 months...sorry about that. What I was thinking is I might have been glutened lately making all of my old symptoms of bloating,reflux,gas,headaches etc retun. I also am having the bladder spasms with my upper part of my legs aching and going going going.I wondered if bladder problems could be associated with celiac. Looks like it can from the posts.

So...maybe I have some hope if I don't get glutened again...I may see some relief because the bladder symptoms left along with the bloating,reflux etc. 2 months ago after I started the diet.I was pumped up thinking it was gone for good.When it came back along with the other digestive symptoms,I wondered could it be gluten related....especially after all the tests (urological)done came out fine with no sign of any real problems.Maybe the problem has been gluten all these years???

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I also had problems with bladder and bladder control. The peeing constantly and occasional blood turned out to be kidney related due to my bodies reaction to the toxin, gluten. The control issues were related to my nerve damage and started when I was a child about the time I lost reflexes in my legs. I would have accidents even as a child when playing with friends, very traumatic for a middle schooler. After I was at last diagnosed within a few months the frequency was down to normal and although it took a couple of years for the nerves to heal I can now tell when I have to go before I am actually going.

loraleena Contributor

Please look into Intersticial cystitis. A lot of us on here have it. I had the same issues, but no UTI as well. IC is an autoimmune disease that cause damage to the lining of the bladder and can also cause ulcers in the bladder. Check out the IC network for lots of info. The IC diet helps a lot ! There are many foods that can irritate the bladder, so I suggest checking that out as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
mumseyh Rookie
Please look into Intersticial cystitis. A lot of us on here have it. I had the same issues, but no UTI as well. IC is an autoimmune disease that cause damage to the lining of the bladder and can also cause ulcers in the bladder. Check out the IC network for lots of info. The IC diet helps a lot ! There are many foods that can irritate the bladder, so I suggest checking that out as well.

Thanks, that was just the info I was looking for. Is the IC network a forum?

loraleena Contributor

There is tons of great info. there and also a forum as well.

• 5 weeks later...
geokozmo Rookie
There is tons of great info. there and also a forum as well.

Yes, it is good, but a bit discourageing:it is clear that no hope for longterm recovery exists. In a site I read about tomato better avoided which is quite startling (since it has good antui-inflammation effects if used on sking, like akne). I wonder.

• 3 weeks later...
littlemermaid56 Newbie

I have IC. I have been gluten free for 4 years now-I did NOT test positve for celiac, but then again I do not have IgA so i am always negative for the blood work and I think its quite possible that my GI doc didnt take biopsy in the right place to find celiac. But regard;ess I cant eat ANY gluten. Had stomach issues for years before i went gluten free and lost a lot of wieght in short time, i feel so much better gluten free. ANYWAY I was dx with IC 1 and a half years ago. Before I was diagnosed I was runing to the bathroom every 5 minutes, I couldnt go anwhere cause I was SO worried about not having a bathroom. once i was dx I was very very srict with the IC diet. Since then I WILL eat tomatoes....I find that organic farm grown tomatoes work much better for me. I can not eat them all the time but now that im in control I can deal with some now and then. I mostly only drink water as everything else is too acidic but i still drink coffee occasionally and deal with consequences-bladder and stomach :) sooo of course it depends on the person but for me IC isnt like the gluten I can SOMETIMES have a little acidic stuff just in moderation

• 11 months later...
MedicalMystery Newbie

Like you, I've had bladder issues for the last 1 1/2 years: Burning sensation near bladder, when first began was going every 15 or 20 min. (sometimes going to the bathroom 3 times within an HOUR, now with the help of 3 medications, I can go every 2-4 hours in-between), extreme urgency (when it was time I HAD to go!), fear of being at a place where I couldn't find a bathroom, planning my day around using and locating the bathroom, getting up at least two or three times EVERY NIGHT to use the bathroom, etc. I was FINALLY officially diagnosed with IC in December, when I had surgery to hyperextend the bladder (which was NOT successful, by the way). Do you think you should be tested again? Maybe it could be related to Celiac Disease, not sure. I'm new to all of this, since I'm waiting for test results.

• 1 year later...
overnormal Newbie

I have had bladder problems off and on now for years. I started having constant problems in Jan. '08 when all of my bloating,headaches,depression,brain fog etc .started.It felt like a very intense UTI but every time I would go to the doctor,walk in clinic or hospital...they would always say the urine came back negative. I took antibiotics for 2 months with no relief!

I went to every doctor in the book for all of the other symptoms including a urologist. After many painful days of going all day ,leg pain,back aches and more....my doctor ordered diagnostic tests and a scope. He found nothing but minor incontinence. He said I did not have any IC,cancer or any other problem except the going,going,going. He put me on Vesicare which helped a lot.I still would go more than most...but it was much better.I knew nothing of Celiac at that point.Now it has reared it's ugly head again and while it's not as bad as the last round,it's very uncomfortable.Along with the bladder spasms....I noticed bloating,gas,leg pain,irratability,slight burn in my stomach with some reflux and more.

My question is...could bladder problems be connected to Celiac/gluten intolorance? Now that I look back on my main symptoms...bladder spasms were in the picture more than not.Have I been glutened and the spasms are just a part of that?

Wow! I LOVE this forum. I've been having bladder issues for years. I am a celiac person, but I forgot about salycilates! I've not eaten any gluten, but tomatoes and red apples-alot! Plus other possible irritants. This REALLY helps!

Archived