Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*lee-lee*

Gluten-free For A Week & Now I Need A Biopsy

last night, the doctor called to tell me my blood work came back positive for Celiac but while I was waiting for the results, I started a gluten-free diet. I did that for 8 days and now the doctor wants me to go for a biopsy. I have a consult appt with a GI in 2 weeks and ate a ton of gluten today. will I be ok to start eating gluten again for a few weeks before the endoscopy or have I started to heal too much and need to postpone the biopsy for longer than that?

5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies

6/24/2008 - negative biopsy

8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free

(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You should be ok since you were only gluten free for a week. Return back to a normal, gluten filled diet until the testing is completed.

When you meet with your GI doctor, discuss with him/her that you want multiple biopsies taken in multiple places. "at least 4 to 6 biopsy pieces need to be taken" http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed.../C04-Biopsy.htm. Too few biopsies can lead to false negatives.

Remember that regardless of your biopsy results, you can still go gluten free to see if it improves your symptoms. Good luck!

Laura gave you some great advise already. If you have positive blood work, that in itself is a diagnoses. You doctor may want to schedule a endoscopy/biopsy for conformation or to rule out any other issues.

If you should decide to forgo the biopsy, you have your diagnosis.

Welcome to the Club.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

You should be ok with only being gluten free for a week. I would definitely go through with the biopsy, if possible. A positive biopsy just confirms the bloodwork, but it can help you mentally in dealing with the diet.

I have no problem staying on my diet, because I know absolutely for sure that I get intestinal damage from eating gluten. I have never cheated, or even entertained the idea of cheating.

It also helps to have as many of us fully diagnosed as possible so the numbers keep going up and more attention gets paid to our problem. More research will be done and maybe someday there will be a cure, if not for us, maybe for our children.

Good luck with your biopsy.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

i would still go through with the biopsy. i have had 2 upper endoscopies in the past and it isn't bad at all. a good nap really. the biopsy is the definite confirmation. it is an adjustment to make, going gluten free. i started in january with multiple relapses. trying to go gluten-free is tough, but i am trying hard... best wishes.

stephanie