This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free For A Week & Now I Need A Biopsy

*lee-lee*

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

last night, the doctor called to tell me my blood work came back positive for Celiac but while I was waiting for the results, I started a gluten-free diet. I did that for 8 days and now the doctor wants me to go for a biopsy. I have a consult appt with a GI in 2 weeks and ate a ton of gluten today. will I be ok to start eating gluten again for a few weeks before the endoscopy or have I started to heal too much and need to postpone the biopsy for longer than that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

You should be ok since you were only gluten free for a week. Return back to a normal, gluten filled diet until the testing is completed.

When you meet with your GI doctor, discuss with him/her that you want multiple biopsies taken in multiple places. "at least 4 to 6 biopsy pieces need to be taken" Open Original Shared Link. Too few biopsies can lead to false negatives.

Remember that regardless of your biopsy results, you can still go gluten free to see if it improves your symptoms. Good luck!

Lisa Mentor

Laura gave you some great advise already. If you have positive blood work, that in itself is a diagnoses. You doctor may want to schedule a endoscopy/biopsy for conformation or to rule out any other issues.

If you should decide to forgo the biopsy, you have your diagnosis.

Welcome to the Club.

WW340 Rookie

You should be ok with only being gluten free for a week. I would definitely go through with the biopsy, if possible. A positive biopsy just confirms the bloodwork, but it can help you mentally in dealing with the diet.

I have no problem staying on my diet, because I know absolutely for sure that I get intestinal damage from eating gluten. I have never cheated, or even entertained the idea of cheating.

It also helps to have as many of us fully diagnosed as possible so the numbers keep going up and more attention gets paid to our problem. More research will be done and maybe someday there will be a cure, if not for us, maybe for our children.

Good luck with your biopsy.

glutenfreestephie Newbie

i would still go through with the biopsy. i have had 2 upper endoscopies in the past and it isn't bad at all. a good nap really. the biopsy is the definite confirmation. it is an adjustment to make, going gluten free. i started in january with multiple relapses. trying to go gluten-free is tough, but i am trying hard... best wishes.

stephanie

Archived