Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katester

Old Bread Maker

I have a bread machine that I used like twice before I found out about the whole gluten thing. Now I've been interested in making my own bread in a bread machine. Is my old one totally CCed? Is it not usable for me anymore? I know it would probably be better to get a new one but I don't have the money for all of these new gadgets and things. Any info would help a ton!

Also, I noticed after finishing a box of Envirokids Banana Waffles that they are NOT gluten free. Now that explains why I always felt sick after eating them. But I toasted them in my gluten-free toaster. I just got that new toaster to be specifically gluten-free and now I don't know if it is still safe to use because of how small the amount of gluten I cooked in it really was. I can't afford to go out and buy myself my third toaster in the past year. What do you think?

Thanks!

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a bread machine that I used like twice before I found out about the whole gluten thing. Now I've been interested in making my own bread in a bread machine. Is my old one totally CCed? Is it not usable for me anymore? I know it would probably be better to get a new one but I don't have the money for all of these new gadgets and things. Any info would help a ton!

Also, I noticed after finishing a box of Envirokids Banana Waffles that they are NOT gluten free. Now that explains why I always felt sick after eating them. But I toasted them in my gluten-free toaster. I just got that new toaster to be specifically gluten-free and now I don't know if it is still safe to use because of how small the amount of gluten I cooked in it really was. I can't afford to go out and buy myself my third toaster in the past year. What do you think?

Thanks!

sorry I don't have the answers... I probably wouldn't trust the breadmachine just because I know mine is hard to get totally clean afterward... not sure about the toaster as waffles aren't crumbly like bread... but the gluten could still stick to it... maybe someone with more experience could help more

When I started out gluten free, I took my old bread machine and had my husband blow it out with his air compressor, then I cleaned all the insides very well. I probably would have just tried to really clean the pan, but it was scratched, so that caused me to definitely buy a new pan. Also, the posts and paddles can be particularly difficut to clean.

I then ordered a new pan and paddles from the manufacturer. I am very sensitive to gluten, but never had a problem with my bread from my bread machine. Some companies will charge you so much for the pan that you might as well buy a new bread machine. Check with your manufacturer.

For me, the toaster would be a tougher call. If it is a traditional toaster, I probably would not use it. If it is a toaster oven (which is what I bought), I would just clean it really well. That is why I bought the toaster oven. I figured I could clean it if someone accidentally contaminated it. The only thing that actually touches my food is the rack that can be easily cleaned in the dishwasher. Also it is easy to wipe out the insides and get rid of any crumbs.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)