Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netzel

Grind My Own Flours?

I thought I would ask some more experienced bread bakers this question before I start experimenting!

I have a coffee grinder that will mill to a very fine texture. Can I, for example, grind brown rice into powder and use this flour directly?

I laugh at myself when I realize I am not sure if flour is just finely ground grain, or if anything else has to be done to it before it is usable in baking.

I tried grinding some millet and now have fine yellow powder. I have a bag of red rice (never heard of this one before) that I found in an Asian grocery and will grind it if anyone tells me to!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You can most definetly grind your own rice flours. Nothing is changed. I don't know if a coffee grinder can get it fine enough, but you can see how it turns out. Just remember that if it is not fine enough, you may have to add a little extra water so the food won't be grainy.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

I have used a coffee grinder, but then I sift it through a fine strainer to get out any larger bits. You dont want to hit those in your muffins. But now I have a Vita-Mix with a grain grinding canister. Works great!

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Does the vitamix get it "superfine"?

homeschooling mom to 12 yr old son

helpmeet to wonderful husband of 13 yrs

dx Myasthenia Gravis 1998

Official Celiac dx 6/2008

Gluten Free since 6/5/07 (with the exception of 6 weeks and any cc)

Positive Enterolab Result 8/23/07

Positive bloodwork 6/2/08 after eating gluten for 6 weeks

The Vitamix works really well. I still sift, just to be sure. But it is superfine. Yes. I hated to get rid of my old Vitamix that served me for 15 years. It still worked great! But it had gluten in it. So I bought a new one. I could have just bought new canisters, but for two of them it was like 200. And then I thought, if this "old" one breaks, I will have to invest in the whole thing all over. They arent cheap. :( But they do last. :)

And now I have a "back up" engine.

One thing I like is that you can make 6 cups of flour at one time. This is a savings. Coffee grinder takes forever to do this much.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!