This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Watchers

Mally-bug

Mally-bug Apprentice

Has anyone attempted Weight Watchers while being gluten sensitive??? It's working, but I am looking for anyone who is or has done this successfully. Advice and any hints you have would be helpful. Gotta get the excess pounds off!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jewi0008 Contributor
Has anyone attempted Weight Watchers while being gluten sensitive??? It's working, but I am looking for anyone who is or has done this successfully. Advice and any hints you have would be helpful. Gotta get the excess pounds off!

Yes, I do it and I love it and I've lost a lot of weight by doing it! Stick with fish, meat, veggies, fruit, quinoa, nuts, raisins! I also deviate from this but those are my staples! Oh and olive oil. AND COUNT EVERY POINT!

munkee41182 Explorer

Ditto!!! I've done WW with being gluten-free and was successful! i noticed more success if I followed the healthy guidlines (5-7 veggies, 6-8 glasses of water, 2-3 dairy, etc). Before going gluten-free I use to drink their smoothies with soy milk, but their smoothies, although I don't believe they contain wheat/gluten, it does say on the package that it was processed in a plant that contains wheat and several other allergens. So it was hard for me to get all my dairy in after that. SIGH.

GL!

disneyfan Apprentice

I was trying WW also and lost 4 lbs the first two weeks. It is easy to follow since I stick to fruits, vegies, chicken, fish, olive oil, and lots of water.

One thing is bothering me though. Has anyone had any stomach troubles with the fat free yogurts, cottage cheese, or extra vegies?

I have been on and off for the past several weeks and very frustrated. I am wondering if the artificial sweeteners in the fat free yogurts are upseting my stomach. I need to lose at least 15 lbs since going gluten free but am finding my stomach is not cooperating like it had been for months and that is making me very nervous.

Any suggestions?

Mally-bug Apprentice
I was trying WW also and lost 4 lbs the first two weeks. It is easy to follow since I stick to fruits, vegies, chicken, fish, olive oil, and lots of water.

One thing is bothering me though. Has anyone had any stomach troubles with the fat free yogurts, cottage cheese, or extra vegies?

I have been on and off for the past several weeks and very frustrated. I am wondering if the artificial sweeteners in the fat free yogurts are upseting my stomach. I need to lose at least 15 lbs since going gluten free but am finding my stomach is not cooperating like it had been for months and that is making me very nervous.

Any suggestions?

I do not like any of the sugar substitutes. they leave a very bitter after taste and I usually get a headache or a sour stomach.

sooo, it will take me longer on WW, but I prefer the health benefits to organic yogurts that are not sweetened with aspartame or splenda. I have no problelm with cottage cheese, but i don't eat it that often. Extra veges...maybe too much fiber all at once??

p.s. - how do you do your olive oil...cooking the chicken or some other way?

torontosue Rookie

I had a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners even before going gluten-free so I've been off those for a while.

For my yogurt, I take a plain organic yogurt and just blend in my fruits with one of those hand mixers. Works great and most fruits are sweet enough that I don't need any added sweeteners.

disneyfan Apprentice
I do not like any of the sugar substitutes. they leave a very bitter after taste and I usually get a headache or a sour stomach.

sooo, it will take me longer on WW, but I prefer the health benefits to organic yogurts that are not sweetened with aspartame or splenda. I have no problelm with cottage cheese, but i don't eat it that often. Extra veges...maybe too much fiber all at once??

p.s. - how do you do your olive oil...cooking the chicken or some other way?

I use olive oil on chicken, fish, vegies (stir fry) and on salads with a little balsamic vinegar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jewi0008 Contributor

Any suggestions?

I have stomach problems with all the things you mentioned. Here's how to combat:

1. Fat Free yogurts - Do not get the artificially flavored ones. No good! Get one of these natural brands (Oikos OR voskos or Fage) All of them are WONDERFUL because they have barely any fat and TONS of protein. Not much sugar. So I will have like 1/2 cup of that with rasperries or some other fruit for flavor. There might be 2 points total for the whole concoction.

2. Dairy in general - just go easy. When you have stomach problems, period, you should watch the dairy intake. If you like it a lot just reduce your amounts. I used to eat everything...cheese, yogurt, ice cream, milk, cottage cheese, eggs, etc, but it's never done anything good for me. I'm down to like 1/2 c of dairy a day. I will drink Rice Milk or Soy milk if I need a "milk product!"

3. Veggies - In excessive amounts they are also hard to digest. The one that's always the most troublesome for me is Brocolli. Do you eat a lot of that? Brocolli causes gas and bloating as well. I still have brocolli almost everyday but instead of it like 3 times/day, I'll have it maybe once, with no more than 7 spears. There are many other veggies that won't have that effect! You just have to determine which ones work for your body. Corn is the other one that hates me...it will always come out of me undigested.

Hope that helps!

Archived