This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions About Two Products

jmengert

jmengert Enthusiast

I've read some conflicting info about Cover Girl cosmetics: does anyone know if they are indeed gluten-free?

Also, I love Biolage shampoos and products, but after reading people's posts about reactions from their shampoos and such, I want to switch to all gluten-free beauty products just in case I do have a reaction (I haven't had one yet, and I've been gluten-free since late November), so does anyone know if they are gluten-free? I can't find anything suspicious on their labels, but you never know.

Also, any good moisturizers that are gluten-free? I have awful dry skin!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice

I use Cover Girl, Garnier Fructis, Lubriderm, all gluten-free last time

I checked, I've never had a problem.

jmengert Enthusiast

Great--thanks for the info! I had been nauseous for awhile and couldn't figure out why, never thinking that my makeup/beauty products could be "glutenating" me--it's nice to know that there are good gluten-free products out there.

Here's to hoping that Biolage is gluten-free; I just love their shampoos/conditioners...

Merika Contributor

I think you need to go product by product, not by brand. If you email or call the company (phone # usually listed on a product) they will often send you a list of ALL the ingredients they use in ALL there products, broken down by "derived from" items. For example, there will be a column labeled "wheat" and under that are all the scientific mumbo-jumbo names that are wheat derived. Then you look at the product you have and look for those words.

I found that wheat often crops up in eye products (creams, some mascaras...) but many cosmetics by many brands are gluten-free. I've never heard of a cosmetic company that was ALL gluten-free.

Many shampoos contain wheat. On the other hand, you're not eating it so ymmv. I tossed them all and now use garnier fructis shampoo which is gluten and soy free (ds is soy allergic). I'm sure there are others out there. Hand cream, though, i really do think should be gluten-free for celiacs - I know my hands go in my mouth and touch my food :) I've found that within the same brand, some variations of the same product are gluten-free, some not. So, "original" may have wheat but "fast-drying" may not. :rolleyes:

Good luck,

Merika

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks, Merika--I sent an email to Matrix (Biolage's owners) today, so hopefully I'll hear something from them. I agree with you--the products I'm most concerned about are lipstick and hand lotion because of the increased chance of ingesting it. Because I'm still a "newbie" with this disease, it just blows my mind with all the things we have to look out for.

By the way, does anyone know if we have to worry about soap, too? I've checked labels, and it seems like most soaps (dishsoap, bar soap, hand soap, etc.) pretty much are gluten-free--am I mistaken, though?

cdford Contributor

Some of us react to different soaps and dishwashing liquids. Some have gluten or oats in them, some I have yet to figure out why we have a problem I just know that we do. No one in our family can use Palmolive dishwashing liquids. We also have to use All Free and Clear clothes detergent. Some of the "simple" soaps are okay but the ones with all the extra stuff tend to be a problem for us.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I talked with Cover Girl about their lipsticks today. They said they do not directly put gluten containing products into them and that I could have the normal lipsticks that were not scented and flavored. They said however that lipsticks with fragrances may contain traces of gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

That's odd--I wonder what they consider to be their "fragranced" lipsticks? I bought the continuous color lipstick (the one that comes sealed in the plastic/cardboard package), so I'm hoping they mean that would be unscented.

Thanks for posting the info! I'll keep an eye on the labels to check for fragrances.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes I got the continuous color lipstick today when I found out that I could so I know those are gluten-free. :D She said that most of them are but the ones that are flavored or scented may have traces.

jmengert Enthusiast

Great! The only thing that's annoying about the continuous color lipsticks is that you can't try them on--I bought a color that looked great in the package but not so great on. Ah, well--at least it's gluten-free! Thanks again for the info!

debmidge Rising Star

Hi all

My husband has celiac disease, not me, but I make sure that my products are gluten-free: haircare and make up. It's good to find out in advance what is gluten-free or not. I certainly do not want to inadvertently glutenize (I love that word, got it from someone else's post) him.

cdford Contributor

oh, great! I had not even thought about kissing a husband who is celiac disease and having gluten-containing lipstick or makeup on. Good thing I am the celiac disease patient and not him...I don't have to worry about him having lipstick of any kind on.

Come to think of it, that would hold true of Grandma kissing the grandaughter as well, wouldn't it? Especially if she also has DH and is very sensitive. I can't wait to try and convince my mother of that one.

Archived