This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweet & Sour Sauce

Wakeboarder

Wakeboarder Apprentice

I'm looking to buy some sweet & sour sauce. I really want some Chinese food and I'm going to try making my own, but I drench everything in sweet & sour sacue. I never bought any before-I always went out to eat for Chinese-so I have no idea if it typically contains gluten or not. What are some companies/brands that make gluten free sweet & sour sauce?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE

I buy lachoy and kraft sweet and sour sauce.

kenlove Rising Star

You could also try to make your own, not so hard. Get a jar of gluten-free jelly that you like and add vinegar. you can alter the taste with more sugar and vinegar or even chop up a pineapple in it. If you have a juicer, you can juice your own pineapple, add vinegar and sugar and thinken with corn or potato starch.

it's worth the time to get a much better taste without the chemicals and it will keep in the fridge for sometime.

ken

I'm looking to buy some sweet & sour sauce. I really want some Chinese food and I'm going to try making my own, but I drench everything in sweet & sour sacue. I never bought any before-I always went out to eat for Chinese-so I have no idea if it typically contains gluten or not. What are some companies/brands that make gluten free sweet & sour sauce?
SacGFGirl Explorer

I have a home based business where one of the products I make is essentially a sweet and sour sauce with a kick. Check out my profile for my website.

purple Community Regular

I have a recipe for homemade if you want it. I double or triple it and make sweet and sour chicken...yummy!

• 2 years later...
elizhannah Newbie

I would love to get that recipe i know this is old thread. But I'm new at this and Chinese is my favorite food and I'm having withdraws. lol I tried fried shrimp with coconut milk and pineapple. Well I tried to copy what a local restaurant does Its the best when they do it. And the only thing that tasted good was the shrimp. Do you know where I can find more. Thanks

Skylark Collaborator

Is there a P.F. Chang's restaurant in your area? They do gluten-free Chinese food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elizhannah Newbie

I just found them in Fresno, Ca. I'm going next week. Very excited about it. The bad part is there 1 1/2 hours away. so I wont be going too often. So, I'm back to my original problem, my cravings of Chinese foods. I think if could find a good sweet and sour sauce and teriaki sauce I would be ok. :D

Skylark Collaborator

From my Chinese cookbook:

Sweet and sour sauce

1 cup water

1/2 c. distilled white vinegar

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. tomato paste

4 tsp. cornstarch.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

One note - it's best to make the cornstarch into a smooth paste with a tbsp or two of the water before you add it to the rest of the ingredients or it will clump.

Teriyaki is Japanese and I don't happen to have a Japanese cookbook around the house. You might try this one. Open Original Shared Link

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

San-J makes a line of gluten free asian sauces. I think sweet and sour is one of them. I get them at my small town grocery store so you should be able to find them just about anywhere.

cap6 Enthusiast

San-J is sooo good! It's become a staple around here. Some of them are no marked gluten-free though so be carefulk.

elizhannah Newbie

Thank you I'm going to try them all. :)

VioletBlue Contributor

Oh gosh thanks! I tried your recipe tonight and it is excellent. Love love love it.

From my Chinese cookbook:

Sweet and sour sauce

1 cup water

1/2 c. distilled white vinegar

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. tomato paste

4 tsp. cornstarch.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

One note - it's best to make the cornstarch into a smooth paste with a tbsp or two of the water before you add it to the rest of the ingredients or it will clump.

Teriyaki is Japanese and I don't happen to have a Japanese cookbook around the house. You might try this one. Open Original Shared Link

Archived