Rate this topic

We are gluten-free/cf. So, no store bought ice cream this summer. We try to be as healthy and organic as possible, but sometimes you gotta cheat, especially when you are away from home and can't make something. Does anyone know if the Cherry (and Coke) Icee you often see at convenience stores, baseball games, etc is gluten and casein free? I would figure it to be dairy free. Who knows about gluten free! I have just noticed this a couple of times while out and figured it might be a good when you are out, occasional treat. I had a hard time going to the Astros (baseball) game last week and not being able to eat anything. An Icee would have been nice. We are going to Sea World on Monday with our 2 yr old and thought maybe they have them there also. Thanks for your help.

http://icee.com/faq.asp?productid=16&p...EEs+gluten+free?

The Minute Maid flavors and Coca Cola product flavors are gluten free according to the above link. Answered my own question after continued search online.

Has anyone had trouble with a Celiac reaction after eating a Cherry or Coca Cola ICEE? The only food I had yesterday, that I don't eat frequently, was a mixed Cherry and Coca Cola ICEE. Within hours I had one of my typical reactions to eating Gluten.

Can anyone help me out?

We are gluten-free/cf. So, no store bought ice cream this summer. We try to be as healthy and organic as possible, but sometimes you gotta cheat, especially when you are away from home and can't make something. Does anyone know if the Cherry (and Coke) Icee you often see at convenience stores, baseball games, etc is gluten and casein free? I would figure it to be dairy free. Who knows about gluten free! I have just noticed this a couple of times while out and figured it might be a good when you are out, occasional treat. I had a hard time going to the Astros (baseball) game last week and not being able to eat anything. An Icee would have been nice. We are going to Sea World on Monday with our 2 yr old and thought maybe they have them there also. Thanks for your help.

Just wanted to let you know there are a couple of gluten-free/CF ice cream options out there in the stores. I actually eat Breyer's Lactose-free vanilla with no reaction. There's also a coconut milk based ice cream line from Turtle Mountain (it's called Purely Decadent) that can be found in many supermarkets. The Breyers comes in a standard Breyers largish container the Purely Decadent in pints.

Luigi's Italian ice cups are gFcFsF also. They sell them in freezer sections of the grocery store in boxes of 6. If you eat a few bites and make a little room on top, then you can pour a tablespoon of absinthe on it and they are not bad at all. There are other brand but the Luigi's are the best tasting that I have tried.

On 6/25/2010 at 8:23 AM, Lu Ann said:

Has anyone had trouble with a Celiac reaction after eating a Cherry or Coca Cola ICEE? The only food I had yesterday, that I don't eat frequently, was a mixed Cherry and Coca Cola ICEE. Within hours I had one of my typical reactions to eating Gluten.

Can anyone help me out?

Strangely, I am researching due to the fact that I had a gluten reaction to a coke icee that I had yesterday afternoon.  Having all the hallmark symptoms that I go through when consuming gluten.  

All my research shows that they are gluten free so I thought maybe cross contamination somehow.  Interesting that you had a similar reaction.  I will probably try one more time this summer and see if the symptoms repeat.