This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Post Workout Foods

LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

Hi, I'm a runner. I used to be heavy into distance running but sinceI started getting sick and went gluten free, I cut back quite a bit and stick to shorter faster runs with 1 or 2 long runs a week, I actually feel better doing this and can control my wieght better (although being gluten-free has helped in that area a lot). I also folllow up my runs with crunches and light wieght workouts.

I am very big on eating properly after I workout. I usually like to have fruit, like an apple after I run and then I make sure I have some form of protien at least an hour after (otherwise I start to feel fatigued in my muscles and crave sugar later on). Since I've been in college I just fell into the routine of having my main meal of the day an hour or so after I run, which is fine, but I'm starting to get sick of the routine and need something to eat that will help me recover, but will allow me to become hungry later on during the day. Right now, my main meal is after I run (in the afternoon) and I tend to eat small things throught the day after when I feel I need to. The thing is, I've fallen into feeling I need to eat my main meal right after running, leaving me not wanting to eat meals later on in the day if people invite me over to thier house or out to dinner. I mean, I eat a whole meal, ex: chicken, veggies, rice..... I just feel so satisfied I dont want to eat another large meal, and honestly dont get hungry enough too.

does anyone have any suggestion on easy gluten-free foods that I can eat after running that will give me protien and carbs, but will allow me to be hungery enough to eat a meal later in the day?? I know this seems wierd, but I've just fallen into the habit of eating that way because it works best for me, but not always the most convenient thing for a social life because then people think if I dont eat a whole meal when I go out I'm anorexic or something LOL which is definitly not the case beacause I'm always eating thoughout the day and love food, I just hate big meals late in the day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WendyG Explorer

Hi, I do a lot of Pilate's and strength training. I typically don't run unless I am being chases :lol:

I try and eat a hard boiled egg or yogurt when I get home. I wold like to get some new ideas too.

happy working out!

Wendy

cool. I used to eat yogurt before going gluten-free, but dairy bothers me now. I am also avoiding soy, although I can tolerate the small amounts like oil, soy letchin ect... small amounts of dairy like coffee creamer are ok too, but to drink milk or yogurt= not very happy stomach at all! I'm also light on the corn. as far as eggs, I havent ate them in a while because they were bothering me, I might try them back up again in a few weeks.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Hello fellow runner !

I too have dropped some weight since developing celiacs a few years ago but I'm guessing having to eat a cleaner diet had something to do with it ! I too am careful what I eat - always trying to get a bit of fat/protein/carbohydrates in every meal or snack. I work as a lifeguard & instructor as well so I have a bag of snacks in my locker to keep me going !

Some of my favorite energy breaks...

banana peeled or apple sliced & spread with peanut butter

2 eggs (minus a yolk) with light mayo, mashed, and eaten by dipping in gluten-free cheese rice crackers

tuna with light mayo and those crackers (or those small tuna tins are portable too)

Bora Bora "granola" bars from costco (lots of nuts - protein & fat glued together with rice syrup)

Mrs. May's "granola" bars or packs - very similar to Bora Bora

I like Kinnikinnick breads toasted (sunflower & flax is my fav) - sliced meat & melted cheese....

Grimm's light pepperoni sticks eaten in the same bite with some light cheese

Mesa sunrise cereal - with chopped nuts & dried cranberries or raisins

I also make rice or quinoa and make a salad - chopped black olives, capers, chopped veggies (carrots, peppers, whatever) - throw on a little balsalmic or rice vinegar, sesame or other oil, some ginger - whatever you got. I pack this with me in small containers. Heck, my breakfast is an egg mixed with about a cup of brown rice, a toss of sliced almonds or walnuts, and some dried cranberries - microwaved until the egg is cooked. I almost always have a container of steamed rice in my fridge (next to my microwave, my steamer is used a lot!).

Hope some of this helps. It does get repetitive but it's pretty healthy. I eat a lot more nuts these days than I ever did, but there's good energy in them, and good fats. I also buy RiceWorks chips at Costco or Safeway or wherever and repackage them in sandwich baggies for taking with me - sometimes one just needs higher energy !

Hello fellow runner !

I too have dropped some weight since developing celiacs a few years ago but I'm guessing having to eat a cleaner diet had something to do with it ! I too am careful what I eat - always trying to get a bit of fat/protein/carbohydrates in every meal or snack. I work as a lifeguard & instructor as well so I have a bag of snacks in my locker to keep me going !

Some of my favorite energy breaks...

banana peeled or apple sliced & spread with peanut butter

2 eggs (minus a yolk) with light mayo, mashed, and eaten by dipping in gluten-free cheese rice crackers

tuna with light mayo and those crackers (or those small tuna tins are portable too)

Bora Bora "granola" bars from costco (lots of nuts - protein & fat glued together with rice syrup)

Mrs. May's "granola" bars or packs - very similar to Bora Bora

I like Kinnikinnick breads toasted (sunflower & flax is my fav) - sliced meat & melted cheese....

Grimm's light pepperoni sticks eaten in the same bite with some light cheese

Mesa sunrise cereal - with chopped nuts & dried cranberries or raisins

I also make rice or quinoa and make a salad - chopped black olives, capers, chopped veggies (carrots, peppers, whatever) - throw on a little balsalmic or rice vinegar, sesame or other oil, some ginger - whatever you got. I pack this with me in small containers. Heck, my breakfast is an egg mixed with about a cup of brown rice, a toss of sliced almonds or walnuts, and some dried cranberries - microwaved until the egg is cooked. I almost always have a container of steamed rice in my fridge (next to my microwave, my steamer is used a lot!).

Hope some of this helps. It does get repetitive but it's pretty healthy. I eat a lot more nuts these days than I ever did, but there's good energy in them, and good fats. I also buy RiceWorks chips at Costco or Safeway or wherever and repackage them in sandwich baggies for taking with me - sometimes one just needs higher energy !

thanks!!! thats some realy good advice! I'll definitly try the crackers and egg thing and the rice and quinou, I eat a lot of that already, but mixing it with differant things is a good idea. I always leave a yolk out when I make eggs also, I think it is the yolk that bothers me??

what kind of nuts do you buy? I prefer almonds, peanuts dont always agree with me, but I'm not sure if it is the brand b/c many say "made in a factory that produces wheat products". I have tried rs mays, very good! my only problem is I can control myself and eat too many :lol:

thanks again :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I do a protein shake after my lifting sessions and Krav Maga classes, I blend (with hand blender) 1c light vanilla soy milk, 2 scoops Biochem vanilla protein powder and a handfull of frozen berries. Ends up to be about 300 calories and 30g protein. You could always leave out the berries and just bring in a shakable (is that a word??) container for on-the-go. It gives me enough to fill my stomach temporarily so I'm hungry again for a regular meal in a few hours--and it tastes really good!

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Nuts...

I like slivered almonds and walnuts. Not too big on peanuts either but I do eat some peanut butter - better success when I buy organic, pure peanut butter (nothin' but peanuts). I have my own personal jar with "Mom" written on it so no one contaminates it !

Mrs. Mays snacks are available at Costco in individual serving size bags...just bought some for the first time the other day, near the energy bars.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I do a protein shake after my lifting sessions and Krav Maga classes, I blend (with hand blender) 1c light vanilla soy milk, 2 scoops Biochem vanilla protein powder and a handfull of frozen berries. Ends up to be about 300 calories and 30g protein. You could always leave out the berries and just bring in a shakable (is that a word??) container for on-the-go. It gives me enough to fill my stomach temporarily so I'm hungry again for a regular meal in a few hours--and it tastes really good!

i think I am going to do this, only I'll try using hemp milk. I cant have soy anymore :(

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i REALLY like Pure Fit bars! www.purefit.com

the chocolate and the almond ones are my favorite. I will eat half of one before I work out, and half after.

purple Community Regular

We had stiry fry for dinner...would that work? Chicken, veggies, instant rice, garlic and Bragg's liquid aminos instead of soy sauce.

i REALLY like Pure Fit bars! www.purefit.com

the chocolate and the almond ones are my favorite. I will eat half of one before I work out, and half after.

thanks! I will look into that!

• 2 weeks later...
gainback Newbie
does anyone have any suggestion on easy gluten-free foods that I can eat after running that will give me protien and carbs.

Hi Runner

I do full contact karate which for me means 3 days a week in the dojo doing tournament style training and 3 days/twice a day, in the gym doing endurance and resistance training. I find that a banana before I train or anything low GI is helpful through the training and gluten-free muscli bar's are great after training ... mix of nuts, seeds, fruit, they are filling and will sustain you for some time after. Rice crackers with varied toppings i.e tomatoes, sliced cheese, avocado, egg without yoke or combinations - just make sure you don't eat the whole pack ;) If I eat anything to heavy I probably won't eat again. Hope this helps

• 2 months later...
biomech-athlete Newbie

Chocolate milk is just as good as or better than gatorade in getting nutrients and sugar back into your system. I find that drinking some after a workout keeps me energized and refuels me very well. And it fills me up a lot better than gatorade does.

Prairiegirl Newbie

Nice to hook up with a sport and nutrition page.

I have been gluten-free for 7 years. Had some big time trouble with exercise and energy levels for a number of years. I would start the cross training that I did and drop it cause I did not have the energy. Now I have gradually started again. Swimming first for the first 3 weeks 3x/week (70 - 100 laps). Then added cycling for 1 - 2x/week for the next 3 weeks. Then the weight training for every day but different body pairs. When the snow falls swimming is down to 1x/week, no cycling but nordic and skate skiing and ice skating down a 7 km ice trail will fill the void. My goal is a 6 - 8 hour adventure race in fall 2009.

I did some reading about nutrition for atheletes and have a few guidelines.

After exercise you need to replace the depleted glycogen levels in your muscles so you don't feel so wasted and for later use. The recommeded ratio is 4 carbs to 1 protein. So, right after exercising try to consume a simple carb like fruit, fruit juice (tomato, v8, orange) or an energy drink. Within 2 hours after exercising you should add more complex carbs (bread, pasta, RICE, cereals) plus the protein. This is our hard part. The complex carbs. And one I still need to figure out and will probably seek the help of a nutritionist or dietician. I think our bread replacements can't compare, nutrition wise, to a regular slice of bread therefore leaving us tired and hungry.

You should keep a simple food diary. What exercise you did. What you ate before it, during and after. How it made you feel (check mark style for bloating, gassy, tired, etc.)

I am not an a.m. exerciser but laps on a sunday start at 8:30. I ate 2 hard boiled eggs, yoghurt with active bacteria and soy beverage. I had great energy throughout the workout. Followed the w/out with a banana and when I cycled home made 3 pancakes and 2 sausages. I was good for the rest of the morning only having water. Energy great and no hungry feeling.

When you are exercising you need to add carbs every 30 - 90 minutes depending on intensity. This could be consumed as a sports drink. 20 oz bottle, 3T table sugar, 1/8t table salt, flavoring to taste ( 2- 3 T of orange, or lemon juice or 1/3 pkg. unseetened kool-aid) fill half way with water - mix then fill the balance with water.

By all means if the food works for you stay with it even if it is a little boring. But you need to keep a recipe file or you forget. I have an energy bar recipe and will share in a later entry. Since this is my first time on an info "blog", do I share recipes here or do they go on another topic page?

NorthernElf Enthusiast

From a fellow fitness fanatic...

Sliced apple or banana smothered in peanut butter

Rice crackers dipped in either egg salad or tuna salad

Mrs. May's nut bars are yummy & quick (Costco)

Supper leftovers - I often "overcook"

I make tuna or salmon "muffins" with Kinnikinnick bread crumbs and egg (and wasabi!)

gluten-free chocolate chip cookies & milk (if you can tolerate it)

Mesa Sunrise cereal (Nature's Path) is gluten-free - top with dried raisins/cranberries & nuts

Treen Bean Apprentice

I have the best energy muffin recipe. I make a dozen of these and keep them in the refrigerator.

2 1/4 cups quinoa flakes

1/4 cup raisins

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1 Tablespoon gluten-free baking powder

1/4 cup light brown sugar

1 1/4 cup skim milk

2 Tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.

Spoon mixture in to a lined muffin tin.

Bake for about 12 minutes. (test with a toothpick; it should come out clean, but moist)

I hope you enjoy these. I absolutely LOVE them. They are a great energy boost.

• 1 month later...
Anna and Marie Newbie

hey,we're both runners but have no idea what to eat to get a lot of energy from. we usually eat a lot of rice or corn before going running but it seems to just disappear. Anyone else out there with soy, egg, dairy, and peanut allergies trying to run. We've both had to cut back on the running since we developed some of the allergies about a month ago. We were eating cashews or larabars but now... any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :D

~ glutenfree since 2005, dairy free july 2008, all the rest since September 2008

GFqueen17 Contributor

larabars!

Archived