Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

im from australia and was googling mcdonalds ingredients and couldnt find the aswer i was looking for. I was wondering if anyone knew whether mcdonalds fries and hashbrowns are gluten-free??and if there are any other fast food places that have gluten-free fries?Ive been eating them on and off for the last few years always unsure if they have gluten in them. when i get glutened the effects are usually very severe and after eating mcdonalds fries and icecreams i usually have no negatiove effects.So i am very unsure and was hoping someone might be able to help?thx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I see you haven't had a reply yet...

I'm in Canada and the hashbrowns & fries are NOT gluten free. :( Yeah, they have a fries only frier but they coat the fries with something.

When I get that fries craving I go to New York Fries because all they do is fries. Unfortunately, we don't have one where I live so it's a rare treat. Just watch what you add to them - some of their toppings aren't safe (such as malt vinegar, shakers, etc.).

Yeah, they have a fries only fryer but they coat the fries with something.

Can you share your source for this. It contradicts everything I have been told for years about McDonalds fries. My wife used to work for a McDonalds, and the fries contained potatoes and oil (different from the US) and were then fried in dedicated oil at the store.

Since you are in Australia, your fries could be different again.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Can you share your source for this. It contradicts everything I have been told for years about McDonalds fries. My wife used to work for a McDonalds, and the fries contained potatoes and oil (different from the US) and were then fried in dedicated oil at the store.

Since you are in Australia, your fries could be different again.

In the US the web site said that the fries have wheat in them and they have made my sister and myself sick. We both have celiac disease.

My question about coating on the fries was for NorthernElf, who, like me, is in Canada. Some places coat their fries with a flour-containing batter before cooking. This is almost always true of fries described as "curly" or "spicy." I have never before heard of McDonalds having coated fries.

The debate about whether you get more gluten in the US from the flavor in the parboil oil, which is diluted several times over, or from the general gluten-laden environment at McDonalds (or any other fast food restaurant) is ongoing.

I'm much more worried that a member of the window crew (the ones who fry and serve the potatoes) will draw an ice cream cone, get crumbs from the cone on their hand, and then transfer them to the fry station. Makes no difference then whether there is undetectable gluten in the oil used for the fries.

My two cents (Canadian) on the subject.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Thanks, Elf.

Nothing new in those links. The first one has an unsubstantiated (and incorrect) assertion that the fries are coated. Both then link to the correct information that in the United States the flavor used in the parfry oil has wheat and milk among its ingredients. We've known and debated the significance that fact for over two years. The Canadian fries are different and do not contain those ingredients.

I agree that eating at McDonalds, or indeed any fast food establishment with gluten in any of its products, is a risk.

Peter

yeah i did do a complarision on the mcdonalds websites in america and australia just through google and i compared the ingredients, the mcdonalds over here claim to have gluten free products and theyve changed their oil aswell for a healthier options. they use the same fryer for hash browns and fries and aswell as apple pies so that would be the cross contamination side of things. but other then that i have had fries and not been sick (and i am very severe). I think i was just lucky that i didnt get sick through cross contamination and wont be doing it again!

Per the McDonald's Australia website the ingredients of french fries are:

Potato, Canola Oil & Sunflower Oil, Dextrose, Mineral Salt (450), Antioxidant (320). OR Potato, Canola Oil Blend, Antioxidant (320), Food Acid (330), Antifoam (900a), Dextrose. Note: French Fries are cooked in canola oil blend, salt added.

Their allergen list says fries are gluten-free:

http://www.mcdonalds.com.au/PDFs/AllergenList.pdf

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years