Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Happynwgal2

To Chicago, Waukegan, Gurnee - Naval Base In Great Lakes

Guest Happynwgal2

On July 2, I am traveling from Oregon to my daughter's Navy boot camp graduation from the Navy boot camp in Great Lakes, just north of Chicago. I will be staying near the Navy base, and be close to Gurnee, Green Oaks, North Chicago, Lake Bluff, Waukegan - it looks close on the map (Google Earth), but reality might be different. I have been to Chicago many times, but not this part of the area.

I get really sick from gluten since I have Celiac - where do I eat? What grocery stores can I go to for gluten free food? What restaurants? I am staying for four days, so fasting is not an option :-)

Any help will be a life saver. I really do not want to go on this trip and end up really sick...

I guess one option is to bring my own cereal and almond milk and buy salads for lunch and dinner...

Anybody here have any better options for me? My daughter and I will be driving around in the Chicago area during her 3 to 4 days of leave, and I will have a portlable GPS unit with me, so I can find my way around. So finding places that will be safe for me to eat at may not be that difficult if I only have some addresses to drive to...

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For a start, there is a PF Changs connected to the Gurnee Mills Mall. There are also many Whole Foods in that area, so you should be able to find fresh food while you are there.

I am certain I have heard of gluten free pizza available in the Chicago area. Maybe someone else will post with firsthand experience.

Best wishes!

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie