Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello,

Is there any good canned cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or tomato soup out there?? I use them all the time when I do cook.

Thaniks!

This is what I use . . . all of them are for recipes and not for eating as soup:

Cream of Mushroom . . . I use Progresso's Creamy Mushroom. Then I blend/puree it (because heaven forbid, my childrem AND husband, might actually SEE a mushroom)

Cream of Chicken . . . I use Progresso's Creamy Chicken Wild Rice. I use it in a chicken/rice recipe so that works just fine.

Cream of Tomato . . . I use Tomato sauce, add a little powdered milk and brown sugar (I definitely don't think this would stand up to be eaten as soup, but works fine for my recipes)

Progresso will list their gluten sources (if any) on their lables.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Hello,

Is there any good canned cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or tomato soup out there?? I use them all the time when I do cook.

Thaniks!

Progresso has several good gluten-free soups. By far the best tomato soup is Pacific Natural Foods Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup which we buy at Costco. It even states "Gluten-Free" on the carton. Even if I were not a celiac, my wife and I would still find this to be the best tomato soup on the market. If you don't have a Costco in your area, the soup can be ordered from Amazon (12-pack of 16-oz containers for $28).

I have not had it lately, but I used to eat the Healthy Choice chicken and white rice. It was safe and it came in the microwavable container so it was great for on the go like work. I was making my own soup this past winter so I am not much of a help!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I heat 8 ounces of chicken stock to a boil, thicken with 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in a little water, and add either 4 ounces heavy cream or 4 ounces sour cream, depending on what I've got in the fridge. I usually throw in garlic, parsley, tarragon or dill, etc. For cream of tomato, add tomato paste; for cream of celery or mushroom, add celery or mushroom.

If you're desperate, you can use half of a four-ounce brick of softened cream cheese mixed with a cup of chicken stock.

Pacific has a spectacular creamy tomato soup. It comes in a carton instead of a can. All pacific products are gluten free to my knowledge - broths and soups. They also have a creamy roasted red pepper and tomato as well as a butternut squash that is also excellent. They have others too - french onion, i think a creamed corn.... all yummy and many are organic too.