Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carriecraig

Dinner In Essex Co. Nj?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I just recently moved to West Orange, NJ (Essex county), and I'm looking for some gluten-free places to eat. I only know about Calabria's in Livingston, but I'd like to find some place for my birthday dinner...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Carrie

Carrie

Blood test May 25, 2005

Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005

gluten-free since then...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Carrie

If you are looking for a banquet type party (where you invite a large number of people) I recommend The Westwood in Garwood, NJ (Union County). The Westwood is a Caterers and I had my 25th anniversary and my 50th Birthday parties there. It's on North Avenue. Garwood is a very tiny town nestled between Westfield and Cranford (Exit 137) on Garden State Parkway. Inasmuch as I am originally from Essex County, (born & raised there) I don't know much about gluten-free restaurants there.

Off topic: How long have you lived in Essex County? I moved out of Essex County deliberately and would not live again in Essex County if you paid me....If you would like to know why, you may contact me thru the Private Email - it has to do with politics and voting, etc. But I'd rather not state my case here as it's off topic. But it's something that you should be aware of as a resident of Essex County.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003