This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have Problems With Low Blood Pressure?

Nan2N

Nan2N Explorer

Hi Everyone

Since going gluten free my blood pressure plummets from time to time. As a rule it is very low..80's over 50's and the doctors check and recheck it but don't seem too worried. Today I felt really sick and weak all the sudden and when I checked it on a monitor it was 74 over 44. I really don't know why this is happening. I've always had lower blood pressure ( I was athletic) but never this low. Does anyone have any input? When I ask the doctors they don't have any idea. I even went to the emergency room last week and they checked my heart and of course it was within normal range the whole time I was there. I don't know what to do about it and am afraid I'll pass out somewhere. I've had every test imaginable and everything looks fine.

Could a food allergy cause this? I just found out I have a few and I'm down to a few foods I can eat. I'm not able to gain weight still and worry about there being another problem.

Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fedora Enthusiast

food allergies can do this and medicine

flourgirl Apprentice

Hi there! Like you my pressure has always been low. At times to the point where I was having "spells" of blacking out. I've had Dr.s tell me that I'm not drinking enough fluid. When I was really ill last year, and before my diagnosis and introduction to the word Celiac, my pressure would bottom out, so to speak. I was running about 70 - 80 over 40 - 45. Doctors would shrug....tell me I needed to include salt in my diet (I don't use table salt, and use it sparingly in cooking....I just don't like the stuff). In my reading I discovered that low iron.....ferritin, B vitamins can cause this very problem. I was severely anemic, and apparently was not absorbing these.

After I started using a liquid B complex (gluten-free of course), my pressure finally went up into normal ranges. As a matter of fact in my last 2 checkups it was higher than it's ever been in my memory. It may be that you need time to heal whatever damage you've sustained, use sublingual/liquid B's. Hope you heal quickly and find better health soon.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Adding sea salt to my drinking water cured my low BP. I add a couple of pinches to a liter.

Juliebove Rising Star

I had this for a while. Partly due to my high dose of BP meds for my kidneys and partly food allergies. I am allergic to dairy. Twice I ordered something and asked for no cheese. I found a shred of cheese in the food as I was eating it. Although I believe I didn't actually ingest any cheese, I must have because not long after, I had the rapid drop in BP and I felt faint.

cmbajb Rookie

if docs have CBC blood tests, checked your thyroid (TSH, free T4, free T3) and those are normal, you might want to ask to be tested for leaky gut syndrome (intestinal permeability). People who have gluten-intolerant, and find they are having more food allergies, might instead have an autoimmune reaction to food particles leaking through your intestine into your body. good luck

pele Rookie

You could have adrenal fatigue. Quite a bit has been posted on this subject under Related Disorders and Research.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Low blood pressure can be caused by a number of things. You should have your thyroid and ferritin checked. You could be anemic or have hypothyroid.

neesee Apprentice

People who are underweight have low blood pressure.

neesee

brendygirl Community Regular

I have low blood pressure, probably due to heredity. Sometimes nurses freak out (worried I'm going to faint), but nothing has ever happened. The only part that bothers me is that I am unable to donate blood.

Archived