Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have struggled my whole life to gain weight. About a year ago I gained about 8 pounds and kept it on with no problem, but all the sudden I dropped it all in a week. What can I do to keep the weight on???? Why did it come off?? I'm on a GLUTEN diet at the moment waiting on my biopsy appointment. I'm eating the same amount but just cut out beer. Will Beer make that much of a difference?

Thanks for your comments!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like the weight loss is due to Celiac, in which case I doubt you'll have much success keeping your weight up until you go completely gluten-free. Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and just gaining fat wouldn't necessarily be healthy if your body already has enough. If I recall correctly, the typical amount is somewhere around 10-15 percent of total weight, but it does vary from person to person. If the biopsy isn't going to be soon, you might want to try using coconut oil in place of butter/margarine and for cooking and baking. It is a healthy fat which gets absorbed more easily than other types of fat.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.