Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SweetAmber32

Mom's Spagettii Sauce

Does anyone know if Hunts Tomato Sauce is safe to use or not? Mom made sauce for Lasagna tonight and used Hunt' Tomato Sauce. Luckily she did not also use Western Families Italian Paste, as when I just looked at it a minute ago, I found that it contains Wheat Gluten. Those cans are now marked to remind the parents that they are unsafe. I know there is a book that lists products that are safe/ unsafe, but is there a web site that has listings too so my family and I can use them in our shopping?

I like the way my stomach feels now, too much, to go back to the way and the what I used to eat.

Cancer Sucks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The plain tomato sauce is safe. Not sure about the spaghetti sauce. I know it has something in it we are allergic to. Or maybe it's just too high in carbs for us.

As for a list... I wouldn't think that would be a safe thing to do. Manufacturers change ingredients all the time. Better to read each label each time than to rely on a list.

There are lists here and there online (someone posts one on this board every now and then) but like was mentioned, there is no substitute for reading the labels. There is a company called Clan Thompson that makes one you can subscribe to that you run on your computer. They check things regularly and have updates all the time. It costs money, buts its the most up to date on a regular basis that you're going to get. I used it extensively my first couple years, and now and I just read labels and use google, but as a beginning tool, I highly recommend it.

Check them out here: http://www.clanthompson.com/index.php3

Also, Hunts Tomato Sauce in the can is just fine.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I use Hunts tomato sauce in a can all the time and have never had a problem. I think Hunts it is a ConAgra product, so it will list any gluten on the can.

Thanks for the help everybody :)

I like the way my stomach feels now, too much, to go back to the way and the what I used to eat.

Cancer Sucks