Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GlutenGalAZ

Substituting Flour

While ago I posted about what can I substitute tapioca flour/starch with. I received back two replies to sub with arrowroot sub 1:1. The only arrowroot I could find was Arrowroot, Powder.

I just wanted to check before I did the substituting to make sure this is correct b/c the people in the health food store looked at me iffy about it when I said what I was going to do.

In the Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids cookbook it calls for 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour to make Mock Flour Tortillas. I cannot tolerate tapioca flour/starch so I need to sub.

Please help.

*I have been cooking with other recipies but always avoid the ones I really want to do b/c they have tapioca in them and I am not familiar/understanding substituing quit yet.

THANK YOU!!

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Tapioca and Arrowroot powder interchangably

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I did a search for a sub and found this: http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html Scroll to near the bottom and it lists what to sub for it. I hope it works, if not just look up tapioca starch substitutes.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

ShayFl -- Thank you :)

I did a search for a sub and found this: http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html Scroll to near the bottom and it lists what to sub for it. I hope it works, if not just look up tapioca starch substitutes.

Purple -- Thank you SOOOO much for that link. I saved it in my favorites. WOW I looked for weeks trying to figure out subs and never saw that site. Thanks again.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

If you can eat corn but want a stretchy tortilla for a burrito, try adding xanthan gum or guar gum to masa and then rolling it extra thin - or at least thinner that a standard corn tortilla.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

ShayFl -- Thank you :)

Purple -- Thank you SOOOO much for that link. I saved it in my favorites. WOW I looked for weeks trying to figure out subs and never saw that site. Thanks again.

You are welcome!

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

I just ordered these:

http://www.nuworldamaranth.com/cart/produc...p?grouping_id=1

Will report back once I get them if they taste good.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!