wakefield

Celiac And Shingle Vacine

Rate this topic

On 6/23/2008 at 2:44 PM, wakefield said:

Sorry, I am still new at this and quess I have finally figured out that I have to press add reply to respond. Hope this works.

Anyway, my Father had shingles several years ago--there is a drug that you can take if you catch it within hours that really helps with the disease but it is still miserable and very painful. I have had friends with it and they have suffered for over a year. If cloths touch the spot with the shingle outbreak it is unbearable!! So that is why I am interested in the vacine even though it is a couple hundred dollars. I was concerned as Celiac is autoimmune and therefore more likely to "catch" things that are going around.

I have Celiac Disease and have primarily GI symptoms. But, I also have chronic skin itching, mostly along my spine and back.

I had a shingles vaccine about 8 years ago and had a very bad but localized reaction at the injection site.  Fast forward to 2019 with the introduction of the two part Shingrix vaccine. I had an even worse, but still localized, reaction which lasted three weeks. My doctor felt it was an allergic reaction and advised that I not get the second shot as he was concerned that I could have an anaphylactic reaction. I really don’t want to develop shingles (who does?) but I think I will take his advice.  That said, I would jump at the opportunity to avoid shingles and would advise people to stick with the science and avoid the rhetoric posted by the anti-vaxxers. Look at what’s happening now in our country with multiple measles outbreaks nationally after being measles-free for several generations due to mandatory vaccination of school children. 

@Pauline12 and @Coltsneck24 You guys are replying to people who were on here in 2008. They have moved on & haven't posted here in years & years. Having said that, I will post about my experience with shingles vaccine.

I have dh, my hubby does also. I know, weird right? It happens. Once one knows the symptoms, one is able to recognize symptoms in others. We both got the Zostavax shingles vaccine 5 years ago & had no negative or side effects at all. We plan on getting the Shingrix since it is more effective. We haven't gotten it yet b/c of the shortage of the vaccine. We'll see how availability looks this fall.

It's easy to make that mistake. I've certainly done it before.