This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Breadmaker Question

Emilysmomma

Emilysmomma Rookie

We want to get a new breadmaker since there is no way to really get all the flour out of the current one we have. But I keep reading about the breadmaker needing a special gluten-free setting - is that for the dough making process or the baking process or both. Because I plan to use mine only to make the dough, and then I'll bake it in the oven - I just like the size of the loafs better that way. I was hoping to get away with purchasing the $49 Breadman at Targets instead of the more expensive version of the Breadman. How do I know if that will do what I need it to do? Is there something on the box?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredeyes Newbie
We want to get a new breadmaker since there is no way to really get all the flour out of the current one we have. But I keep reading about the breadmaker needing a special gluten-free setting - is that for the dough making process or the baking process or both. Because I plan to use mine only to make the dough, and then I'll bake it in the oven - I just like the size of the loafs better that way. I was hoping to get away with purchasing the $49 Breadman at Targets instead of the more expensive version of the Breadman. How do I know if that will do what I need it to do? Is there something on the box?

I am the mum of a 4 yo daughter who was only diagnosed at the start of this year and thourght it would be cheaper to bake her bread myself. I mix and bake the bread in the breadmaker but if you would rather bake in the oven I don't think it should matter too much if it has the gluten-free setting or not mine doesn't but the manual tells me what setting to use but it is also a case of trial and error and I have had some of thoughs and I just had to laugh because my daughter was still happy enough to eat the bread mum made. Some breadmakers do however have a gluten-free setting on them but sorry I can not remember what brands, all I can suggest is that maybe if you google "gluten free bread makers" and see what you get. Good luck with it and happy bread baking. :D

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I bought one of the more expensive breadman pro's because of the gluten free cycle and guess what...I rarely use the gluten free cycle! I would go with the less expensive breadman from target especially since you only want it to make dough. Good luck and happy bread making!

Emilysmomma Rookie

Thanks!! We got the less expensive Breadman, and I will making a bread mix tonight, so hopefully this will be an edible mix, and she will have bread to eat tomorrow! I really want to be able to make her a sandwich, it would make life a little easier that's for sure! I went the route of buying a bread mix this time, rather than messing with all of the ingredients again!

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Thanks!! We got the less expensive Breadman, and I will making a bread mix tonight, so hopefully this will be an edible mix, and she will have bread to eat tomorrow! I really want to be able to make her a sandwich, it would make life a little easier that's for sure! I went the route of buying a bread mix this time, rather than messing with all of the ingredients again!

Iknow exactly what you mean. I usually use Pamela's bread mix or gluten free pantry. Yesterday I made two loafs in my bread machine. The first one I put in 2 tablespoons of molasses, 2 tablespoons of sunflower seed and 2 tablespoons of chopped almonds plus 1 table spoon of poppyseeds. An excellent look alike wheat grain bread! The second one, I added 2 tablespoons of italian seasons, 1/2 tsp of onion powder and 1 cup of grated parmesean cheese. I love the way my kitchen smells when I'm baking bread! Your daughter is very lucky!

Archived