Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcs1984

Going gluten-free

Ok, well we have had the scope done on friday, everything went well accouding to the doctor that did it. This is what has happend since then. He was back to eating norm foods friday night, on Saturday night he got a horraible tummy pains, we are talking about my 4 year old in tears bc he was hurting so much. I called that night and they said dont worry about it, it is probley gas. On Sunday he went back to eating almost nothing and telling me his tummy was still hurting. But nothing else different, then on Monday right before a school field trip he doubled over again in pain, so i got on the phone with his nurse right away and she went and talked to his doctor. I got a phone call back and the doctor told us to take him back off of Gluten but if it happend again or his eating does not get back to normal to bring him in. So today i took him 100% off of gluten-free and my hubby said that he has only said anything about his tummy once. So my question is, even though we have not got the results back and we are taking him off of the gluten (by doctors orders) what do i tell the preschool and other family and friends.

Thanks for your help, i am hoping to be able to give the school something tomorrow, he only goes 3 days a week and i want to make sure they dont give him anything that he cant have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Even our son's biopsy came back normal, but the key is, your dr. told you to remove gluten, so that's all you have to tell the preschool--Dr's orders. Our son had such a significant positive dietary response, that our gastro diagnosed him in spite of what the biopsy results said. Our daughter was diagnosed from a glaringly obvious biopsy, so we tell our frinds and family, as well as the school that our son has Celiac disease just like our daughter. Regardless of what your results say, no one has to know the details.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

The simplest way would be to tell them not to give him any food other than what you supply per the doctor's orders until further notice. You could just generally say that he potentially has a serious health problem, just to get their attention. Then when the test results come back(assuming they are positive) you can go over it more thoroughly.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Thanks, I have talked to both my brothers because we are all meeting up for the 4th and I work at his school so they do know a little of whats going on. Thanks for your ideas. I will keep it simple and in plan English.

There have been several threads in recent months discussing with how others have dealt with the food issues at school. Do a forum search and you should find a lot of helpful info. :)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)