Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was diagnosed a few months ago and am still having horrible stomach cramps in the morning. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I have tried a variety of gluten-free food with no luck. I have even tried not eating in the am and have still experienced stomach problems.

Does anyone else experience more digestive symptoms/pain in the morning? Also, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you certain you are not getting ANY gluten from anywhere?

Old scratched pots and pans, wooden spoons, cutting boards, toaster, etc.

Lotions, shampoo, lipstick, etc.

Cross Contamination from others that use your kitchen or at work?

Eating out?

If you are certain that there is no way gluten is getting in, then you may have to eliminate dairy (for a few months while your villi heal). Most celiacs are intolerant to dairy because the tips of the villi secrete an enzyme to help digest dairy. So you have to heal first. Some celiacs find they are intolerant to dairy forever. You will have to experiment.

But for now make sure NO GLUTEN. And then eliminate dairy for awhile and see if this helps. For most it does.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I don't even TRY to eat in the morning anymore - for years actually.

Wish I had some suggestions.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

my GI symptoms are the absolute worst in the morning too.

i think i am going to start drinking my breakfast...a nice smoothie with yogurt or something.

we will see how that goes.

my GI symptoms are the absolute worst in the morning too.

i think i am going to start drinking my breakfast...a nice smoothie with yogurt or something.

we will see how that goes.

I can't eat rich foods in the morning, I think when we first wake up our metabolism is very slow and may cause digestive problems. Later on in the day I have no problems, I think just in the AM it's something to do with our metabolic rate or level of stomach acid.

IMO you should not eat any grains in the morning. Heck I think grains are not good for you anytime. First thing in the morning I would have fresh fruit & water only. maybe watered down 100% welch's grape juice. If you can handle it, eggs, & ham or bacon or last nights left overs.

I personally gave up on breakfast, when I realized that for me it was healthier to wait until 11:00a.m. & have an early lunch. Nothing to do with digestion but just made me feel better. For me a little mini fast from dinner until 11:00a.m. the next day works perfectly. It is not for everyone...

Are you drinking coffee?

I don't eat much in the morning either. Maybe a banana, apple Lara bar, or soy yogurt.

Cindy

Gluten Free since November 2006

Lactose Intolerant since 1980

100% Lactose Free since May 2006

Caffeine Free since August 2007

Hashimoto's Disease