Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AustinsMom

Question About Cereal....

I bought Kix because I am told that there is no gluten in this cereal....

Can anyone answer these ?'s form e BEFORE I feed it to him?

What ingredients do I need to look for on labels?

Also, What cereals are gluten free that are sold in grocery stores?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Kix is a General Mills product. GM has a policy of clearly labeling any gluten, so if Wheat, Rye, Barley, Barley Malt, or Oats isn't listed, it isn't in there.

A list of other companies that have clear gluten labeling policies: http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm

According the general mills website, Kix has oats in it, so it is not safe. Regular, mainstream oats are not safe for those with Celiac or following a gluten free diet.

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/bran...p;groupID=19412 (click on kix and it provides ingredients)

Here is a list of unsafe ingredients.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Rice Chex has been re-formulated to be gluten-free. The new boxes have the words gluten-free clearly visible. If you don't see those words then it's a box with the old formulation and NOT gluten-free. Corn Chex are not gluten-free and neither are Rice Crispies. Barley malt is one ingredient in cereals that is NOT gluten-free. As an example, in the newly re-formulated Rice Chex they replaced barley malt with molasses to make it gluten-free.

The oat crop is considered to be cross contaminated with wheat due to growing, shipping, storing processes. Celiacs must use only certified gluten-free oats and they are too expensive for mainstream manufacturers to use in their products.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I don't think Kix are gluten-free. There are posts here that *some* Berry Berry Kix do not contain any gluten containing ingredients (you'd have to read the box) but the manufacturer does not say they are gluten-free.

Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles are okay. Rice chex. I called General Mills and they said Trix and Cocoa Puffs are gluten-free but to read the label ever time before purchasing in case the ingredients have changed. I haven't tried either of those yet but I'm looking forward to it. =)

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

I just finished a box of Kix last week and was fine. Of course, I could have just gotten a lucky box. Since I've heard that GM is planning to reformulate some of their cereals to make them safe for celiacs, I think I'll wait to buy another box of Kix until after this happens.

This can happen with Frito Lay, as well - you go along with a few good bags of chips and then WHAM you get a bad one! I haven't yet figured out the way to always get a good bag, but as soon as I do, you can bet I'll be posting.

Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles are okay. Rice chex. I called General Mills and they said Trix and Cocoa Puffs are gluten-free but to read the label ever time before purchasing in case the ingredients have changed. I haven't tried either of those yet but I'm looking forward to it. =)

What about Berry Pebbles?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28