This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Went To The Gi

Krystens mummy

Krystens mummy Enthusiast

Well What a waste of time! I waited three months to see a gastro doc and got no answers.This is what I told him

I get

Nausea

vomiting

backpain

lower abdo pain

fatigue

bolating

constipated

cold all the time

night sweats

weight loss

Have a daughter with gluten problems

and family with celiac

HE TOLD ME I HAVE GALLSTONES!!!!!!!!

He told me to have an ultrasound to confirm. I looked up gallstones when I got home and I don't have any of those symptoms apart from pain. My pain is in completely the wrong place I have it in lower abdo and lower back and it's crampy and dull and lasts up to five days

Gallstone pain is strong intense doesn't come in waves and is in upper stomach and back under ribs.

I want to scream does anyone have these symptoms and have they come from gall stones?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Most doctors dont like me and the feeling is mutual.

I would have said, "Well doc. if I have gallstones, I am sure you know that is a common symptom of celiac??" I have a family history of celiac. And my daughter is thriving on a gluten free diet. I am sure you will consider that I might have celiac?? I am certain that you can see the obvious and will order the appropriate celiac tests. I have faith in you.

You have to make them think that it is their idea. You gotta learn how to talk to them.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

You have nothing to lose from getting u/s of the gallbladder---- and you can rule out the disease, or confirm that you do indeed have gallbladder disease .

As you know, most people do not have a "textbook case" of signs and symptoms of disease. Each person is a unique individual.

Celiac disease can be hard to track down---- you need to be willing to cooperate with your MD even though he may take a long and winding road to rule everything out -----

It's no fun to be rushed to the ER with an emergency gallbladder removal------ :o

Do yourself a favor, and have it checked. :)

dbmamaz Explorer

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Do you want a celiac panel? Did you try asking your primary doctor to run or order one? Have you considered just quitting gluten? Or are you in england and you need the doctor to give you a prescription for food?

Krystens mummy Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Do you want a celiac panel? Did you try asking your primary doctor to run or order one? Have you considered just quitting gluten? Or are you in england and you need the doctor to give you a prescription for food?

Thanks for all of your replies. To the lady that wrote this post. I have had the primary celiac panel done and it came back negative. I have family with celiac disease and I told him that. I gave him all of my symptoms and he was only concerned about my GI symptoms I suppose cos he is a GI. I was frustrated cos I had waited four months for an appointment and they changed it three times on me. They then double booked me so I was in with the doc for five minutes I timed it. I want them to completely rule out the disease cos everytime I get symptoms I lose more weight and cant think what it's doing to my body. I want to get tested for my daughter too cos I know she has at least gluten intollerance and i'm pretty sure she is celiac but people don't take it seriously without a diagnosis. If I can get one for me then people may start to believe that this is really quite a serious thing to have and she just wont grow out of it. I wanted him to rule this out first cos Then either way I can stop eating gluten. Now I have to wait for him to do all the other tests first before he does that one and I have to stay on the gluten. I dont go back for 4 weeks.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks for all of your replies. To the lady that wrote this post. I have had the primary celiac panel done and it came back negative. I have family with celiac disease and I told him that. I gave him all of my symptoms and he was only concerned about my GI symptoms I suppose cos he is a GI. I was frustrated cos I had waited four months for an appointment and they changed it three times on me. They then double booked me so I was in with the doc for five minutes I timed it. I want them to completely rule out the disease cos everytime I get symptoms I lose more weight and cant think what it's doing to my body. I want to get tested for my daughter too cos I know she has at least gluten intollerance and i'm pretty sure she is celiac but people don't take it seriously without a diagnosis. If I can get one for me then people may start to believe that this is really quite a serious thing to have and she just wont grow out of it. I wanted him to rule this out first cos Then either way I can stop eating gluten. Now I have to wait for him to do all the other tests first before he does that one and I have to stay on the gluten. I dont go back for 4 weeks.

There are up to 30% of celiacs who will show up negative on the blood panel. The best diagnostic IMHO is the response to the diet. You do not need a doctors permission to be gluten free and if it does the trick then you don't need all the other tests. The only testing that being gluten free will interfere with is the testing for celiac itself. The biopsies are also hit and miss as far as diagnosis is concerned. If you are seriously ill it is up to you whether you want to continue with the gluten until they get done testing for everything else. I would also ask for a copy of that panels results. Some doctors will consider a low positive a negative and report it as such. I have two family members who had results only one point into the positive range that have still seen remarkable resolution of problems gluten-free. It is up to you how much testing you want to do for a condition that is controlled solely by diet.

In addition with celiac in your family I wonder who the doctor is trying to help by testing for that last instead of first. I would consider getting a second opinion as IMHO this doctor seems more concerned with his gain from testing ($$$$$) than your actual health.

Archived