Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedora

Northern California On Fire

Please pray for us, all of us here in northern california. Please pray the fires will go out and that more will not start.

These fires were started by dry lightning, a rare occurance in June. The forecast calls for more this weekend. Super scary. We are in a huge drought, plus we don't get rain here for several months in the summer normally.

One of the fires is about 2.5 miles from my home. So far we have been lucky here, no homes have been evacuated and none have burned. But others have not been so lucky. Twenty homes have been lost in California so far. The county below us is burning much worse.

Thank you.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am so sorry fedora. you are in my prayers. I hope your beautiful country will stop suffering and there will be no human victims.

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

My home is not in danger, but I can tell you that the air quality is really bad...the smoke is very thick. I can see and smell it from my home and from my work. The fire departments are really, really working overtime and there are so many fires that they can't get them all. It's a very scarey situation.

Wow! There are a lot of fires in N Cal. I'll pray for speedy containment and no lost lives.

A couple sites I've found useful are below (if you are interested). One lists the fires and containment info, fire behavior.

http://www.nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/lg_fire2.php#

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I am far from the fires, right by the bay, but its really creepy and I can't really go outside. My asthma is in overdrive, and the air is so bad it makes me dizzy and gaspy to be outdoors. The sky and light is red. I can't even imagine being closer to the fires.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I am far from the fires, right by the bay, but its really creepy and I can't really go outside. My asthma is in overdrive, and the air is so bad it makes me dizzy and gaspy to be outdoors. The sky and light is red. I can't even imagine being closer to the fires.

Exactly! I live near Los Gatos, so the closest fire is far away, but yeah, the sky and light is red.

We have two fires burning in the wetlands (deep beneath the peat) near us in North Carolina since June. I can attest the the air quality.

Sending prayers for strength for the firefighters and those with homes nearby.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Those of us in San Diego know exactly what you are dealing with. The fires move so fast you almost can't out-drive never mind out run them. In 2003 there was so much smoke in my neighborhood - not really near the fires but directly downwind - that you could hardly see to the end of the block.

The wind was blowing most of the smoke - but obviously not all of it - out to sea because my cousin could smell the smoke.

In Phoenix! :o:o:o

And last year it was deja vu all over again.

You are definitely in my prayers. It is very scary to go through.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected. It sounds terribly frightening.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

My prayers are with you all. I lived in Vallejo during the 70's when there was a 2 year drought and although wildfires were a big concern we never got hit as bad as you are now. I will never forget watching our favorite lake, Berryessa (sp) dry up before my eyes. So much wild weather going on right now all over the country. It is scarey for all of us. I am praying that it starts raining for you soon and that it stops raining for those in the middle part of the country.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thank you everyone for positive thoughts.

It is very stressful. My heart broke watching the trees torch earlier in the week, but luckily that was the worst day. It is unnerving being able to watch it from the yard.

We are leaving in 9 days for a vacation to meet my family further south. It is stressful thinking about leaving. We already are pretty fire aware, we had wildfires here in 2003. But we are going the extra mile for sure: finishing weed wacking, cleaning up wood from the yard.

My hubby works in forestry. In 2003 he worked for a tree faller during the wildfires. He got asked to come out again and I could not take it, so he did not go. But today he went but they were not next to the fire but at the fire breaks being made.

We are near the Paradise Fire. The containment is growing on it and the lines are holding good. We are grateful. The fire on our side has gotten much smaller, but closer. It is at a creek and being held there by the firefighters.

The air sucks though. My kids and I are stuck inside.

So far no more dry lightning here. I pray it does not come anywhere.

Thank you for your prayers. Things are much worse for others and I pray for them: Big Sur, Shasta, Butte County, Mendocino County.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/index_incidents.php

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008