This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Only Signs Of Celiac Be Constipation And Low Iron?

dawnsusan

dawnsusan Newbie

I have a friend who has some baffling symptoms that make me wonder about celiac.

Only signs, besides chronic fatigue, are constipation -- since INFANCY!!!

And very low iron. Her last bloodwork showed her hemoglobin at 2

That's right.....2. The ref. range was 100 - 200.

If she takes iron, she gets more constipation.

Background -- Irish.

Any thoughts? Any wisdom you can give her? She is going to order enterolab.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, the only obvious symptoms could be anemia and constipation. In fact, just anemia is enough to be tested for celiac disease!

Her hemoglobin is so low, she should be getting a blood transfusion, and after that iron IVs! Her anemia is so severe that she might die if nothing is done soon. Just going on a gluten-free diet will NOT fix her anemia, it would take many years, and she might die before that.

Isn't her doctor concerned, even alarmed by her low hemoglobin count? Are you sure it is the hemoglobin that is 2, not the ferritin?

I don't think anybody can live with a hemoglobin count of 2. And you are just barely alive with a ferritin count of 2! My ferritin was 4, while my hemoglobin was still at 120 a few years ago, and I was too weak to get out of bed many days. I'd have to have a nap after a shower, before getting dressed, because having the shower would take all my strength.

Gerri Explorer
Yes, the only obvious symptoms could be anemia and constipation. In fact, just anemia is enough to be tested for celiac disease!

Her hemoglobin is so low, she should be getting a blood transfusion, and after that iron IVs! Her anemia is so severe that she might die if nothing is done soon. Just going on a gluten-free diet will NOT fix her anemia, it would take many years, and she might die before that.

Isn't her doctor concerned, even alarmed by her low hemoglobin count? Are you sure it is the hemoglobin that is 2, not the ferritin?

I don't think anybody can live with a hemoglobin count of 2. And you are just barely alive with a ferritin count of 2! My ferritin was 4, while my hemoglobin was still at 120 a few years ago, and I was too weak to get out of bed many days. I'd have to have a nap after a shower, before getting dressed, because having the shower would take all my strength.

Hi

I can't give blood anymore because my iron went very low. Normal for iron was I believe between 11-15, I was told this many years ago and the levels could have changed. My iron was down to 5, I was given a shot and prescribed iron supplement for a month, at which time I had to have it retested. At any rate 2 is very low, immediate attention should be gotten for it ASAP.

I am constipated all the time, so my doctor said I could not be celiac. Since starting the gluten free diet two weeks ago, I am not as constipated, bloatting is not as bad, neither is the brain fog.

Hugs

Gerri

nora-n Rookie

The doctor is ablosutely wrong when he rules out celiac because of constipation. Many celiacs have C as their main symptom. I thouhgt it was so common knowledge that I have not even bothered to bookmark any references about C and celiac.

(I think my gastro might not be up-to date on this symptom either. I mentioned I have first constipation and then diarrea after ingesting gluten and he seemed to be puzzled but I did not discuss it further with him)

nora

dawnsusan Newbie

Thank you. I THOUGHT that was very low.

At least she is getting Enterolab testing done. She is ordering it this weekend.

Thank you very much. I will do more research. I guess she needs a good doc who really knows Celiac.

betty6333 Newbie

you can have no symptoms and still have damage from celiac's it is called silent celiac, and you find out you have it when you get cancer ect... if someone has symptoms get tested plain and simple

dawnsusan Newbie

Yep, She's starting with enterolab.

She doesn't know much about it, has a young relative with PKU and does not want to face idea of gluten-free diet.

But she feels so sick, and she's just kind of over it since she's had problems for her whole life.

Enterolab is a good place to start.

Thanks everyone. Maybe we helped save a life. I know dealing with iron can be a long haul, but this could be a start for her.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived