Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matezsn

Food That Touches A Wheat Product

I was wondering if you eat something that has touched a wheat product would you react to that. Like pizza, if i just ate the toppings would that be ok or would the dough still affect it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Like most answers relating to this, it depends on how sensitive you are to the wheat. Most celiacs would not try that approach of eating toppings off of a gluten pizza. Even if you don't have obvious symtoms there is always the chance of internal damage.

No, you should NEVER eat anything that has touched a wheat product. Eating the toppings off a pizza is a big no-no, as is eating salad that had croutons that have been taken off, or anything like that.

In fact, if you have made a sandwich with regular bread, and don't wash your hands before making a sandwich with gluten-free bread, the supposedly gluten-free sandwich won't be safe to eat any more.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the three second rule. You might be familiar with it from when you have dropped a food item on the floor and were debating whether it was then still clean enough to eat.

Some of us can be affected on a molecular level. I can't even go into a bakery and if I cant to buy wine at costco I wear a mask like you would use for painting. Others are not as extreme but for the most part cross contamination is a major problem.

Good luck

I was wondering if you eat something that has touched a wheat product would you react to that. Like pizza, if i just ate the toppings would that be ok or would the dough still affect it.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

If the wheat product - pizza crust or otherwise - were dog poop, would you take the topping off and eat it?

No?

Then don't eat if off the pizza crust, either.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

If the wheat product - pizza crust or otherwise - were dog poop, would you take the topping off and eat it?

No?

Then don't eat if off the pizza crust, either.

I am SOOO going to steal that to help other people understand!!! You just made my entire night, that was hilarious; but a very simple way to describe it. B)

No, there is no way I would eat pizza toppings off of a pizza. In the very beginning, I think I did that once. It just wasn't good... But we all make mistakes and learn and go on. One thing you can figure though, people on this forum have been there, so their advice is usually spot on. ;)

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

I read a great reply a few years back from someone whose friends couldn't understand why she couldn't just eat the toppings off the pizza. She took a slice of pizza, sprinkled it with Comet cleanser, then very carefully scraped off all the toppings and cleanser and offered it to her friends, because now it was "okay". They got the message. No, don't eat anything that has touched nasssty filthy wheat. One crumb can make you miserable.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

You need to think of gluten as anthrax. You wouldn't touch anthrax and then make yourself a sandwich without carefully scrubbing your hands, nor would you eat something anthrax had touched.

Gluten is THAT poisonous to us.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

I have tried, and I've been sorry. I picked pizza topping off the pizza right after I went gluten-free, so I wasn't sensitive enough to notice back then. NOW I'm just too sensitive. I will not eat food "processed on shared equipment" but I will still eat "processed in the same facility" because I haven't had bad luck yet. I may have to change that.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy