Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WriteBrained

Digestive Problems: Celiac Or Anxiety?

I was tested for celiac disease in summer 2006, and it came back negative. I still wonder if I might be gluten-intolerant, but my mom disagrees. She thinks the symptoms I'm concerned about are being caused by my Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

This is way TMI, but I have gas after every meal, and I often have mucosy, smelly stools or pass foul-smelling clear liquid with gas. Once in a while, I see small flaky fragments that float in the toilet. A couple of times in the past two months, I've also had very large stools that clogged the toilet. I'm also tired all the time (in spite of getting 9 or more hours of sleep) and I had lost 30 pounds at one point, but have gained 20 back.

My problems mostly started after I had two surgeries on my hand. Around that time, I also developed OCD, which I read (on this site) can be related to problems with gluten. And for what it's worth, there's a strong history of autoimmune diseases on both sides of my family, plus digestive problems on my mom's side.

Does it sound like I have celiac disease? Should I ask my mom to take me back to the doctor? (I'm too young to go myself.) She's willing to take me, but I feel silly to ask her when she thinks it's just anxiety..especially since I've already tested negative for celiac before. And of course, I have to wonder if my anxiety is causing me to be a hypochondriac with this. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You're a minor, and your parent(s) have the final say. As with all mental changes, anxiety is chemical.

Google "adenosine". Adenosine is a major human enzyme. Adenosine is responsible for the system-wide reduction of inflamation, including nerve inflamation. Adenosine under-supply has marked effects on the electro-chemical workings of heart rhythm. Anxiety is closely tied to heart rhythm. Adenosine is created in the small intestine from DPPIV breaking down ingested protein, including plant protein. DPPIV takes time to perform this task.

In active AND latent celiac the gut produces Zonulin in response to wheat gluten. Zonulin causes the contents of the small intestine to empty into the bloodstream. There are many effects. One of the effects is the curtailment of adenosine production.

Another effect is a large supply of zonulin and wheat gliadin into the bloodstream. Zonulin makes membranes permeable. Gliadin is a harmful mimicker of human endorphin. Nerve cells have endorphin receptors. Zonulin facilitates the passage of gliadin, other harmful proteins, and microorganisms into nerve cells, and harms them.

A third symptom of celiac disease is the curtailment of liver cholinesterase production. Cholinesterase is the base chemical responsible for switching off nerve impulses. A shortage of nerve cholinesterase is marked by electrical nerve disturbances. Cholinesterase also plays a roll in the digestive system reabsorption of bile acid. Bile acid dissolves fat. When bile is not reabsorbed, the stool is acid and fatty.

Medical science recognizes all of the above actions as fact, but has not combined them systemically as I did.

Active celiac disease is characterized by damage to the small intestine lining. Active celiac and latent celiac are both characterized by nervous disorders, systemic inflamation and progressive autoimmune disease. Zonulin over-supply, adenosine under-supply, and cholinesterase under-supply happen in celiacs who have intestinal symptoms and celiacs who don't have intestinal symptoms ......active celiac and latent celiac.

Most doctors recognize active celiac disease, but do not recognize latent celiac disease. However, there are potentially twice as many latent celiacs as active celiacs. You may pursue conventional medical treatment. On average, it may diagnose active celiac disease. On average, it will not diagnose latent celiac disease.

The most effective method of diagnosis is diet. If it works, then keep doing it.