Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imsohungry

Here's A Totally Random Question...

So anyway,

I don't actually need to use your applesauce, but I do have questions.

I know that I can substitute applesauce to add moisture...but how much? What does it replace? Sugar, milk, butter? Is there a ratio/percentage formula that I should use? :blink:

I don't know for sure what I'm baking, but I'm going to a cookout this weekend and thought I would bring dessert. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm ready to use my Kitchenaid mixer. I moved the mixer to another counter in the kitchen...it's much less intimidating over there. ;)

Happy baking to all. -Julie :D

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Julie,

You can use applesauce to replace the fat in a recipe--all or part of it. In something like brownies, you can just replace all of the oil or butter--in cakes or other more delicate things, you might only want to use half fat and half applesauce.

I always use unsweetened applesauce.

Good luck with the new machine! :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hey Patti! :D

Hypothetically speaking, if I only have sweetened applesauce, would the same principle still apply? Or would I need to reduce the sugar also?

I may have to send the hubby to the store. I have different flavored packs of applesauce in the fridge, but many of them have added sugar...I'm almost positive.

I wonder what would happen if I used strawberry applesauce? Ever tried anything like that while baking a cake? :huh: Just curious.

As always, thanks, and hugs. -Julie :)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

I usually just do stuff and see how it turns out. Rarely is something bad and has to be thrown out. Sometimes it comes out ok and other times a "great" find was made.

If you reduce the sugar, I would put in equal amounts of flour to keep the texture right.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Hey Patti! :D

Hypothetically speaking, if I only have sweetened applesauce, would the same principle still apply? Or would I need to reduce the sugar also?

I may have to send the hubby to the store. I have different flavored packs of applesauce in the fridge, but many of them have added sugar...I'm almost positive.

I wonder what would happen if I used strawberry applesauce? Ever tried anything like that while baking a cake? :huh: Just curious.

As always, thanks, and hugs. -Julie :)

Truthfully, I don't think using sweetened applesauce would make a huge difference. The added sugar would add a little moistness, which would be a good thing. The strawberry applesauce sounds like it would be very good in a cake--would make it a pretty color, too :D

Be aware that when you substitute this way, the result is drier and it's a good idea to start checking for doneness sooner--like 10 minutes or so.

All of a sudden, I'm craving cake :unsure:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev