Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rick_spiff

Subs For Almond Meal

I am making a gluten free challah bread and it calls for almond meal and hubby is allergic.

Any suggestions??

Whole family is allergic to Gluten, eggs, dairy, most are allergic to garlic. Few other various allergies.

Did you know it's best to wait until 21 months to give a baby wheat??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am making a gluten free challah bread and it calls for almond meal and hubby is allergic.

Any suggestions??

Is it just almonds he is allergic to, or other nuts as well? If other nuts are fine, I would just use ground hazelnuts. I have substituted ground hazelnuts many times, and it turns out fine.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to suggest hazelnuts. But if it is ALL tree nuts...you could try corn meal. But I would soak the corn meal for 30 minutes prior to using. I am thinking this in my mind as I do when I experiment all of the time with baking. I am not saying it would work, but if he tolerates corn, this is what I would try.

OR you could buy hulled hemp seeds and give em a quick whirl in the coffee grinder or food processor. This would give the same consistency.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Both of my sons have mild peanut allergy. Hubby is allergic to almonds and sunflower

Thinking i'd do the hemp seeds.

Whole family is allergic to Gluten, eggs, dairy, most are allergic to garlic. Few other various allergies.

Both of my sons have mild peanut allergy. Hubby is allergic to almonds and sunflower

Thinking i'd do the hemp seeds.

Peanuts are a legume and hazelnuts are tree nuts. People with a peanut allergy shouldn't have any problem with hazelnuts.

One of my daughters is allergic to almonds but fine with hazelnuts, the other is allergic to hazelnuts and is fine with almonds. I think that using hazelnuts should be safe.

But hemp seeds might work, too.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I interchange almond meal and ground flax seed...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

For challah bread, I don't know if flax seed would work since you want to have that nice potato flavor and not a nutty flavor (in my opinion, flax seed is stronger tasting than almond meal). I made this gluten free challah bread found on the website www.glutenfreeinthegreens.blogspot.com . It was delicious, especially when it was cool all the way. She recommended using dry milk powder or almond meal, so maybe you could try that instead:

Gluten-Free Challah

In Carol Fenster's Cooking Free book she says as a sub for corn flour you can use almond flour, bean flour or chestnut flour. So depending on the recipe you could sub one of those. I like to make 1/2 of a recipe to see how it turns out first.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

I used the recipe above and used hazelnuts instead of the milk or almond and it turned out great!

Thanks everybody, it was a big hit!