Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mouth

Toro Certified gluten-free Foods

HI ALL THIS IS AN EXCERPT FROM A LETTER I SENT TO SOMEBODY WHO GAVE ME gluten-free CERTIFIED SAMPLES.

READ ON..

OMG! i cant believe it i was reading the labels right, and guess what is in some of these products? wheat.. yes. here is how it is listed:

AND it is the 1st thing on the label list which means that there is the most of it in the product:

SPECIALLY FORMULATED WHEAT STARCH* THEN AT THE BOTTOM IT SAYS- CONTAINS LESS THAN 200 PPM (0.02%) GLUTEN, WHICH IS CERTIFIED AS SAFE FOR CELIACS ACCORDING TO THE EUROPEAN UNION CODEX STANDARD..

WOULD YOU GIVE THIS TO *****? NOT BEING MEAN. JUST A QUESTION.. THIS STUFF IS IMPORTED FROM NORWAY, DIST. BY A COMPANY IN IOWA..

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?? WOULD YOU? I DONT KNOW IF I WANT TO TRY IT OR NOT.. MY DAUGHTER IS A NON SYMPTOMATIC.. ADVICE PLEASE..

THANKS AGAIN ALL

LYNN

Eat Well To Stay Well

Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007

Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is no way in this world I would eat that! Here in the US, they are pushing for a limit of 20 ppm on foods labeled gluten-free. Some think that is too much!

I wouldn't give it to anywone with Celiac. It just isn't worth it.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

There is no way in this world I would eat that! Here in the US, they are pushing for a limit of 20 ppm on foods labeled gluten-free. Some think that is too much!

I wouldn't give it to anywone with Celiac. It just isn't worth it.

\

THANKS That is what i figured.. And Australia. they are even stricter than we are I hear.. now, I saw something on your DD#4 i think it was that like the stomach ulcers? I think? my dd had the same thing at 4 bld wk was only 40 at that time. all other tests even biopsy were negative. they gave her rx of not xanex.. oh heck forgot what it was called. she was on it for a year and rescoped and it was cleared up.. also increased her appetite.. good luck and thanks

lynn

Eat Well To Stay Well

Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

I wouldn't eat anything with wheat starch! A lot of people would get sick from that product.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't eat anything with wheat starch! A lot of people would get sick from that product.

Yes I know.. Wanted everybody to see that!! it is going into the garbage..

Eat Well To Stay Well

Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

I was wondering if there'd be any discussion about Toro on the board.

I went to a Gluten-Free and Allergy Expo last weekend, and I was encouraged to try some samples made with Toro flour. AFTER I ate a piece, I looked at the ingredients of the flours and was horrified to see "wheat starch" there.

I was really surprised that the Expo allowed the vendor to pass out samples without warning about the ingredients. I never would've tried it if I was warned...even if it is "certified" gluten-free.

BUT I don't think it made me sick. I already had a dh outbreak and it didn't get any worse since this weekend, and I didn't experience the usual day-after-contamination-trainwreck.

I've had it. It's delicious. I wouldn't make it my regular bread but I could see using it occasionally. 200 ppm is like 1/5 of one red marble mixed in with 1000 blue ones. You probably breathe in that much gluten walking by the bakery in the grocery.

The countries that are producing theses products are decades ahead of the US in celiac research.

Don't eat it if you don't want to. But, be sure to educate yourself about current research before you make your choices! :D

I did eat it and I didn't react as far as I can tell, but if I saw the ingredients before tasting the sample, I wouldn't have touched it. So maybe that's more of an emotional response rather than a rational one.