This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ingredients In Hot Dogs

LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

So I never eat hot dogs, but only at get- togethers (and this was before going gluten-free).

I hate the name brand hot dogs like oscar myer. I live in western NY where sahlen's hot dogs are made. these are the ingredients, what do you think?

Sahlen's Hot Dogs Ingredients: pork, water,beef,salt,corn syrup, flavorings,dextrose,hydrolized soy and corn protien, oleoresin of paprika, monosodium glutamate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, collagen casing.

BLAH, typing alll that makes me never want to even eat one. but "FLAVORINGS" puts a flag up for me.... and of course msg-yuck! :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Yes, "flavorings" could be concealing gluten. A number of companies have policies that say they will not hide gluten, but will clearly identify it in the ingredients list. Oscar Mayer is owned by Kraft, and has such a policy. But I don't know anything about the brand you refer to.

I found their Open Original Shared Link, but it did not help with this question.

I would consider them unsafe, unless I talked to the manufacturer and got a clear answer.

curlyfries Contributor

I'm not a fan of Oscar Mayer either, but I do like Ball Parks and John Morrell, both of which are gluten free.

dbmamaz Explorer

Remember to check the company websites - many now list which products are gluten free.

toddzgrrl02 Explorer

I love Jennie-O turkey dogs. That is what I always buy now and they have gluten-free turkey dogs and hamburgers (love their hamburgers too!)

Open Original Shared Link

Do you have a listing of JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE

texas Apprentice

Actually, I was in Western New York recently and was told Sahlens hot dogs were gluten free. Hoffmans out of Syracuse are not

VioletBlue Contributor

I love Oscar Meyer. They have a "naturals" line that is nitrite free as well as gluten free. It's the only hot dog anyone sells up here that I can eat because I'm terribly allergic to nitrites. Their whole naturals line is preservative free. And the hot dogs taste wonderful as long as you heat them up. They have a nice smokey flavor to them.

I'm not a fan of Oscar Mayer either, but I do like Ball Parks and John Morrell, both of which are gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I love Jennie-O turkey dogs. That is what I always buy now and they have gluten-free turkey dogs and hamburgers (love their hamburgers too!)

Open Original Shared Link

Do you have a listing of JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE

Actually, I was in Western New York recently and was told Sahlens hot dogs were gluten free. Hoffmans out of Syracuse are not

cool. thanks I read on a couple local forums that they were too after someone contacted the company...

ENF Enthusiast

I enjoy BOAR'S HEAD Lite Skinless Beef Frankfurters. The package says, "DAIRY FREE GLUTEN FREE" on it.

Beth41777 Rookie

Any chance you can find Boar's Head brand nearby? They make high quality hot dogs, sausages, etc... and they label all of their gluten free products as such. Beth

angelbender Newbie

Hebrew National Hot Dogs ARE gluten free. They are all beef and as they are kosher, they don't have sugar and the other things (you know, rat's tails etc.....lol) that have been reported in other hot dogs. I called the manufacturer and their hot dogs are gluten-free. I'm sure they do have nitrates tho but they taste SO good! Angel

MNBeth Explorer

Coleman makes a gluten-free, nitrite-free hot dog, too. I get them at Costco.

trcn Apprentice

Applegate Farms has gluten-free, cg, sf dogs and lunch meats, too. I buy that at Publix and Whole Foods.

slmprofesseur Apprentice
Hebrew National Hot Dogs ARE gluten free. They are all beef and as they are kosher, they don't have sugar and the other things (you know, rat's tails etc.....lol) that have been reported in other hot dogs. I called the manufacturer and their hot dogs are gluten-free. I'm sure they do have nitrates tho but they taste SO good! Angel

They are great! We buy those to take with us to friends houses and such. When we are hosting we cook Oscar Mayer for the guests and save the Hebrew National for us~! My gluten eating husband says those hotdogs are gluten free and people always go the other way! lol

Beth41777 Rookie

Thanks ! I was looking at those one day, I think I will try them, knowing that they are safe! Beth

• 2 years later...
maritamar Newbie

So I never eat hot dogs, but only at get- togethers (and this was before going gluten-free).

I hate the name brand hot dogs like oscar myer. I live in western NY where sahlen's hot dogs are made. these are the ingredients, what do you think?

Sahlen's Hot Dogs Ingredients: pork, water,beef,salt,corn syrup, flavorings,dextrose,hydrolized soy and corn protien, oleoresin of paprika, monosodium glutamate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, collagen casing.

BLAH, typing alll that makes me never want to even eat one. but "FLAVORINGS" puts a flag up for me.... and of course msg-yuck! :ph34r:

I live in the WNY also. I emailed Sahlens and Wardynskis as well (another Western New York company) and got a reply from both. All Sahlen's products are gluten free. Wardynskis has one sausage that isn't, but it's one I'd never heard of before and haven't seen in stores. (I can't remember the name now, but if you're curious, the Wardynski rep got back to me within hours of my sending the request. Hope this helps.

kareng Grand Master

I live in the WNY also. I emailed Sahlens and Wardynskis as well (another Western New York company) and got a reply from both. All Sahlen's products are gluten free. Wardynskis has one sausage that isn't, but it's one I'd never heard of before and haven't seen in stores. (I can't remember the name now, but if you're curious, the Wardynski rep got back to me within hours of my sending the request. Hope this helps.

This is good info but the post is more than 2 years old.

Looking for answers Contributor

We buy applegate free-range organic all-beef hotdogs from Wholefoods. They are a bit pricey but so worth it. They have nothing added to them except a couple of spices.

Archived