Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vanquish

Wait...what?

"Although dermatitis herpetiformis usually occurs for life once it appears, permanent remission is reported to occur in 10-20 percent of patients, usually after long-term adherence to a gluten-free diet."

http://autoimmune-skin-disorders.suite101....s_herpetiformis

Perhaps they worded the sentence wrong? Should it read "permanent remission is reported to occur in 10-20 percent of patients who adhere to life-long gluten free diet'?

or....can DH really go into permanent remission? And could these "reported" people potential hold a cure for DH within they're immune systems? Ahh wow, total critical thinking but the possibilities have my mind racing...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe they mean people on a gluten-free diet don't get DH anymore? I'm wondering if it's only 10-20% that go into "remission" because most people get accidentally glutened from time to time and the DH flares up?

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Maybe they mean people on a gluten-free diet don't get DH anymore? I'm wondering if it's only 10-20% that go into "remission" because most people get accidentally glutened from time to time and the DH flares up?

This was mentioned by the dermatologist who diagnosed my family member.

But as a practical matter, how would you know? If you didn't have any symptoms after ingestion, maybe you are just in the "silent" mode, especially since the outward signs don't always match the inward damage.