Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

echard

Gluten Free Meats

I read somewhere recently that farm raised fish wasn't gluten free because of added dye or something. I also read that some stores meat section(Wal-mart) inject things in their meats that make them glutenized. If someone could help clear the topic of which type of fish i should buy, and if chicken with added broth and natural ingredients are afe i would really appreciate it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Meat and fish in it's natural state, is obviously free of gluten. In the beginning, it's best to stick with the most natural.

In the US any additives injected into the meat of fish, if it contains wheat, it must by law be listed. Rye, barley or malt are not frequent additives into these products, but do no have to be listed.

Natural Flavors, also would be required to list wheat, but it is always good to contact the company and verify it's gluten status. For instance, Perdue Roasted Chicken, lists Natural Flavors, but no gluten and it can be verified as gluten free by their website.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

A few weeks ago I emailed Walmart's ground beef supplier, Cargill Solutions, and asked about the "natural flavor" they add to the ground beef. They said it is a rosemary tincture and it is gluten free.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

The USDA requires that any meat additive with nutritional value be clearly listed. This includes ANY grain, so all you have to do is read the label. I definitely prefer wild caught, though.