Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My daughter has been asking me for granola bars. I haven't had much luck finding them. I need to know which ones kids will like so I don't have to waste too much money experimenting!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I absolutely LOVE Enjoy Life! The Carmel Apple is so yummy. You can find them here: http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/snack_bars.html

I also love their granola cereals. I am nut free as well, so that makes them even better for me.

:P

Holly Joy

Neg blood test 2006

Life changed on diet - decided against biopsy

allergic to nuts and the environment (including all mold)

asthma, eczema, hypothyroid, celiac

My daughter has been asking me for granola bars. I haven't had much luck finding them. I need to know which ones kids will like so I don't have to waste too much money experimenting!!

My kids and I really like the Envirokids crispy bars. They don't fall under the category of granola, but they are yummy bars that kids love.

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

These are not Granola Bars per se, but I buy Zone Perfect bars.

They have several kinds that are gluten-free, including Fudge Graham (despite the name - they are gluten-free). When I called their phone number (1-800-666-6830) the person who answered was very knowledgeable and was able to tell me which flavors were and were not gluten-free. I like this brand because they have a lot of protein, not just a lot of carbs. You can find them at WalMart and other places.

Only my son (age 14) has Celiac in our family. He likes these, and I have found them to be excellent for when we are on the road, such as when he is playing basketball or baseball and needs something to eat before or in-between games, but not a full meal.

My daughter (age 11) likes both Zone bars and regular granola bars.

I keep some at my desk at work when I don't have time for a regular lunch.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but they have regular size bars and also a smaller snack size.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Just another option, I posted a recipe here on this forum for cereal bars - very flexible recipe. I make different ones for me and for my son - mine has millet cereal and raisins and sunflowers - his has corn cereal and peanuts and peanut butter and coconut and marshmallows!

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...rt=#entry430406

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

A brand called Oskri makes granola bars that say gluten-free, lactose-free on the package. I haven't ever seen them in the US but they're made in Wisconsin, so they must be available somewhere (maybe online?) They don't contain sugar and are not very sweet though (if that's what your daughter is looking for :))

I really like Enjoy Life bars as well, and, come to think of it, Alpsnack bars are my favorite (similar to a granola bar - and the chocolate flavor is awesome).

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Which ZonePerfect bars are gluten-free? I used to love them before i went gluten-free, but I assumed they all had gluten in them.

Since I have not checked in awhile, I thought I would revisit this issue, so I called them today.

The customer service rep told me that the bars are made on shared equipment and some bars have gluten ingredients. When I asked further if she had information on how they change from one product to another, she found information stating that all the equipment is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between products, and that they were highly aware of the need to do this with respect to allergens. Again, very helpful and knowledgable on the phone. You will need to make your own decision with respect to this, but I had good confidence in what I was hearing. The rep had all of this information at her fingertips.

My son eats Zone bars fairly often (about 1 per week). He doesn't have GI symptoms anyway, but recently had bloodwork confirmed negative (TTg), and has been negative for the past 4 tests over the past two years.

Now with all these disclaimers out of the way, here is the list of ZonePerfect Bars that contain no Gluten Ingredients:

Chocolate Almond Raisin

Chocolate Caramel Crunch (also snack size)

Chocolate Coconut Crunch

Chocolate Peanut Butter (also snack size)

Chocolate Raspberry

Fudge Graham (also snack size)

Peanut Toffee

Double Dark Chocolate

Banana Nut

Blueberry

Orange Cranberry

Bev

Since I have not checked in awhile, I thought I would revisit this issue, so I called them today.

The customer service rep told me that the bars are made on shared equipment and some bars have gluten ingredients. When I asked further if she had information on how they change from one product to another, she found information stating that all the equipment is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between products, and that they were highly aware of the need to do this with respect to allergens. Again, very helpful and knowledgable on the phone. You will need to make your own decision with respect to this, but I had good confidence in what I was hearing. The rep had all of this information at her fingertips.

My son eats Zone bars fairly often (about 1 per week). He doesn't have GI symptoms anyway, but recently had bloodwork confirmed negative (TTg), and has been negative for the past 4 tests over the past two years.

Now with all these disclaimers out of the way, here is the list of ZonePerfect Bars that contain no Gluten Ingredients:

Chocolate Almond Raisin

Chocolate Caramel Crunch (also snack size)

Chocolate Coconut Crunch

Chocolate Peanut Butter (also snack size)

Chocolate Raspberry

Fudge Graham (also snack size)

Peanut Toffee

Double Dark Chocolate

Banana Nut

Blueberry

Orange Cranberry

Sorry I've never seen these, are they in specialty stores or something to buy online?

Celiac Dx 6/16/08 with blood work done for chronic anemia.

Endoscopy & biopsy 6/25/08 - complete villious atrophy.

Vitamin D deficency - 50,000iu Vit D weekly started 8/4/08.

Iron Deficency Anemia - IV Iron infusions weekly started 8/7/08.

Osteopenia of spine 8/12/08 calcium supplements commenced.

DD aged 11yrs Celiac Dx 7/8/08, symptom free except for being short for age.

DS aged 4yrs Allergic to corn & oats but bloods & biopsies negative for Celiac 2/2007, GERD 5/2005, Cardiac surgery for retro-esophageal right sub-clavian artery 5/5/2005.

DD aged 2 yrs Bloods negative for Celiac.

Gluten Free life started 7/15/08

My Mum tested positive for celiac disease 7/25/08

My maternal great-grandfather died from "his stomach wearing away" he was a baker.

My grandma gave me this one. You can change it up with whatever you like.....change the fruits, chocolates, or nuts. The whole family loves these bars. My grandma who is diabetic uses splenda for both sugars.

Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients:

1 cup butter

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Sorry I've never seen these, are they in specialty stores or something to buy online?

I get Zone Bars at WalMart. You can get them individually or in a box of 5, for about $1 each.

At WalMart, they are usually in the Pharmacy area near the vitamins and diet stuff.

Bev

My grandma gave me this one. You can change it up with whatever you like.....change the fruits, chocolates, or nuts. The whole family loves these bars. My grandma who is diabetic uses splenda for both sugars.

Just a note, not all celiacs can handle oats, and most supermarket oats are cross contaminated. Be cautious!

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

I get Zone Bars at WalMart. You can get them individually or in a box of 5, for about $1 each.

At WalMart, they are usually in the Pharmacy area near the vitamins and diet stuff.

Thank you

Celiac Dx 6/16/08 with blood work done for chronic anemia.

Endoscopy & biopsy 6/25/08 - complete villious atrophy.

Vitamin D deficency - 50,000iu Vit D weekly started 8/4/08.

Iron Deficency Anemia - IV Iron infusions weekly started 8/7/08.

Osteopenia of spine 8/12/08 calcium supplements commenced.

DD aged 11yrs Celiac Dx 7/8/08, symptom free except for being short for age.

DS aged 4yrs Allergic to corn & oats but bloods & biopsies negative for Celiac 2/2007, GERD 5/2005, Cardiac surgery for retro-esophageal right sub-clavian artery 5/5/2005.

DD aged 2 yrs Bloods negative for Celiac.

Gluten Free life started 7/15/08

My Mum tested positive for celiac disease 7/25/08

My maternal great-grandfather died from "his stomach wearing away" he was a baker.

Found this on their website:

CONTAINS SOY, PEANUTS AND MILK INGREDIENTS; MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT PROCESSES EGGS, PEANUTS AND TREE NUTS AND WHEAT.

I was getting happy when I heard they are gluten free.. :(

The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it!